Thoughts wanted! Your helpful contributions for our blog

Hello everyone,

Here at Jo’s we are wanting to write a blog post aimed at friends/family/loved ones, talking about ways they can support someone through cancer treatment and beyond.

The support of a loved one can be so important during this time and we know often loved ones want to be supportive but sometimes don’t know how to, or the right thing to say.

So I was wondering if you would mind commenting nice things that people have done for you, or things that someone could say/ has said to you that has really helped you during treatment, or put a smile on your face.

Please feel free to comment with whatever suggestion or thoughts you have. Your comments are so valued and appreciated by us.

Thank you so much.

Best wishes,

Meghan

Lifts to and from daily hospital appointments 

Friends  prepared food for me so all I needed to do was warm it up.

just simply having a visit from a friend and chatting as you've always done ,  no cancer related conversations

Going for a walk / to the shops with someone , getting you out of the house .

I agree with all of the above that Greeni has mentioned. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful sister, who was able to drop everything and look after me post radical hysterectomy and then some more when I was having chemo rads. I have often thought about what made her support so special, and I think it was the fact that she was there to listen to me if I needed to talk, but didn't bombard me with loads of questions about how I was feeling. Apart from providing the practical support of running the home, cooking shopping etc when I was not able to do much,  she would take me to the hospital by car, for my treatment sessions and generally be there for company if I needed it. I didn't always want to speak to friends who rang up as people usually want to know how you are feeling, so she would let them know I'd ring back when I felt able. I was incredibly fortunate to have someone who knows me well.

Things that aren't helpful - being told about other people who have had cancer, being given advice about all kinds of things, people off loading about their problems, generally being talked at. 

We are all different, but it will be very interesting to see if there are commonalities amongst us.

Was lovely getting a lift to and from hospital and someone always making food for me to snack on while everyone out at work and was lovely getting visitors coming to chat was nice of everyone going out there way to help me during radiotherapy and  chemo 

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your comments, we here at Jo's are loving reading these responses. It is so lovely to hear the wonderful things your friends and family have done for you all, I know they will really help others in supporting their loved ones.  

It is also helpful Rachel57 seeing what wasn't helpful as well as I think sometimes people don't realise that hearing those things aren't helpful to your situation. I am also so pleased you had such a wonderful sister. 

Best wishes,

Meghan

She is the best! I am one lucky person.

Hi, what a fab idea! 

I was lucky enough to have my fiance with me for the majority of my cancer diagnosis, treatment and day to day stuff for 4 months until he went back to work. He was off work with stress though at the time and was so scared to leave me due to the severity of how ill I was. He had to take on every role and he did amazing, is doing amazing! He was able to do this because his work were supportive to him and understood he had needs alongside mine. 

The things we have both found most helpful have been the people who ar just there, the ones who don't know what to say or do, but they are there with you, and are honest about it. The ones who keep texting, ringing, calling even though you don't want to speak to, or see them right now but they understand, and just want to let you know they are there when you are ready. I found people who didn't quite understand this, would think i'm giving up if she doesn't want to talk, and then tell other poeple I wasn't talking or responding, which then meant other people wouldn't bother because they didn't want to overload me. They didn't know how alone I felt and after a while you start to think people don't care. 

I must admit initially people helping out was frustrating as I still wanted to be the same person before I had cancer, I didn't want to be treated differently. I wanted to be able to do things myself, but any little thing which i didn't have to do around the home was a blessing, but just maybe ask if it's ok first before just doing. People doing the washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning was brilliant and meant I could gradually get used to doing the little things again.

Understanding it's not a 'fix it' situation. When a loved one is hurt/poorly/upset all you want to do is take it away or fix it, and unfortunately you can't. Having someone just listen to you, and not judge, offer an opinion or a positive solution is bliss. We have to stay positive through this process but understanding that if you have a bad day that's ok too, because there are lots of dark days where you feel like there is no way out, but that doesn't mean you aren't being positive, it means your being realistic. Constantly hearing "stay strong, be positive, you've got to remember, there's other options though, can they not give you something to stop you feeling so down" can do more harm, as you don't feel like you're being listened to, as they don't get how you're feeling. I found people who asked why I was feeling the way I was feeling or empathised that the situation is just rubbish, rather than offering a solution was much better, and were the ones I spoke to more. 

I sadly unexpectedly lost my mum two months before my diagnosis and didn't have that many female family members who I could call on or who were local enough to be with me and I do think there should be more support out there for family members and it offered from the start. As a women going through cervical cancer surrounded by male family members, not only has this been traumatic to say the least for us all, it's also something which they know nothing about and can't relate to. My fiance had said he wouldn't recommend the few forums/blogs he had seen from family members supporting someone with CC as they were all quite negative. It would be nice to see more partners/family members sharing what they found useful and coping strategies. I would love to see something which offered online support for males specifically supporting their partner who really could use that extra bit of support or may not want to openly admit they need it. I have seen first hand how men in particular don't or won't admit they need help, there must be another way to support them when they are doing so much for their partners/sisters/daughters/mothers etc. 

Fertility issues were one of our most problamatic areas with other people/family/friends, as finding out you can't have children naturally is very distressing time and also another area where people don't know what to say. Adoption and fostering were the response we got every single time someone found out, and it was horrible. As much as we understand this is a way of trying to be positive, it's also a suggestion which we have already gone over a million times in our heads, and it doesn't make it hurt any less every time it's said. If someone would say "i'm sorry, how do you feel about it, or do you have alternative options?" then you are in control of what you say to them, and can acknowledge this may be a possibilty in the future but right now you have to grieve for the loss of a child your never going to have. Adoption is a fantastic way to offer a child who needs a loving home the one they deserve and also to support adults who cannot have children on their own, but it's not an immediate fix. 

Sorry feel like i've wrote an essay, once you get going there's so many different things! xxx

Hi Bumblebee25, 

Thanks so much for your post. Firstly, I am so sorry to hear about your mum that must have been really hard, especially so close to diagnosis.

It is great you wrote so much, getting all different angles about what helped and didn't help, as well as suggestions, is so insightful and useful, and I think a lot of people will really relate to what you've said. 

Best wishes,

Meghan

My friends where just there with a listening ear.  Someone to talk through all my "fears" with, without being worried that I might frighten them.  Someone to treat me like me - and not a person with cancer. My friends brought out the "old me" - the me that I knew, not this person who had cancer (if this makes sense).  Sometime it's nice just to feel "normal"

I really appreciated friends and family who 'showed up'. The day i was diagnosed my cousin came over that evening and we had pizza and wine, the day after that i met my auntie for lunch ( and also had a glass of wine!) These were small things but really made a difference, people going out of their way to see you, spend time with you and just 'be'.

The CEO of my company also called me the day I got diagnosed, it must have been a pretty difficult call for him to make, but i really appreciated it. My work colleagues also arranged a big hamper to arrive at home with loads of silly and pampering gifts in it, that kept me smiling for days!

Another friend of mine used to send me magazines in the post, with little post it notes with positive messages.

So in summary, what really helped me were the do-ers.

Less helpful are the responses like ' call me if you need anything/ let me know if I can help' as it is quite hard to ask for help. Better for them to just pro-actively offer to do something. However I do understand that people do not know what to say in these situations!

Thanks, Rachel

Hi all,

Thank you SO much for sharing these experiences with us. All of your comments have been amazing and I look forward to the blog as I know it'll really help people know how to best support their loved ones. 

Best wishes,

Meghan