Thank you Jo's!!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post a thank you to everyone who got me through one of the most difficult times I have faced in my 29 years.

Almost a year ago I received the dreaded abnormal results letter 8 weeks after a regular smear test. I was obviously very upset and scared! So I decided I could not wait until after Xmas to go for a colposcopy so I phoned and made a bit of a fuss and got a cancellation - I don’t think I could’ve waited 2 weeks…I had to wait 4 days and that was bad enough. To say I was anxious is an understatement.

Colposcopy was ok - obviously there are way more enjoyable things out there but it really is not that bad. My smear came back at severe high dyskariosis so I was not expecting anything good. The colposcopy showed absolutely nothing. Nothing at all. The doctor said that he would do some biopsies just to be on the safe side but that I should go and enjoy my Xmas.

I then waited and waited and waited for my results. It took another 7 weeks until I finally spoke to the nurse who could tell me that I had to go for treatment - cold coagulation. I had never heard of it!! Everyone on this wonderful forum had been talking about LLETZ! So I searched and found some lovely ladies who had been through the same procedure.

The day of the procedure I was actually looking forward. It actually sounds insane but after 3 months of anxiety while trying to finish my degree, I was pretty much happy for them to do anything!!! I just wanted to get back to normality…

Cold coagulation was fine…again, I could think of way more fun stuff to do but the nurses were AMAZING! I like to ask questions because I feel more in control that way, and they answered everything. They showed me everything I wanted to see on the big screen (my cervix was about the size of my head on there haha!). They very kindly turned it away while doing the procedure though…

Ok so this has gone on quite long now but I know I felt so much better reading a good story when I used to use this forum every minute of every day!!

With cold coagulation you don’t get any more results. They found a minute area of CIN 2 during the original biopsy and they think the biopsy got rid of it all. I am so thankful for the colposcopy Doctor for being cautious!!! So I healed well after cold coagulation. Everything was back to normal except this anxiety.

I have had a very up and down year and as the time was getting closer for my follow up smear I was having difficulty sleeping. I would jump when I heard the letterbox go, just like I used to when waiting for results.

The day came where I had my smear and I was terrified. I have never ever been scared before and I am the person who makes sure my friends book theirs…I was quite happy to walk out and never return but I went through with it. The nurse told me my cervix looked absolutely fine - she said it pretty much straight away so I relaxed I think!! I know that is nothing to go by but it helped me.

4 weeks later and the letterbox went with the results…I was shaking opening the envelope. In black and white letters it said I was normal! I have never felt relief like it.

I just want to make sure that you lot are as positive as you can be!! Good stories happen!! If anyone is suffering with anxiety then please talk to someone. Don’t do what I did and bottle it up and drive yourself crazy!!!

So thank you Jo’s for giving me somewhere to come when no one in the world understood what I was going through. This is the most wonderful place.

Sending positive thoughts to all that need them!!

Charlene
xoxo

It's nice to read a positive story. I had my 6 month smear  and check up on November 7th and instead of a results letter I have had an appointment letter so now terrified. At the time the consultant said everything looked fine. 

I suffer with anxiety and I agree with you, the support on these forums is amazing. It makes you feel less alone! 

Xx