Terrified

Hi all

Feeling absolutely terrified at the moment . Was diagnosed with cervical cancer on Monday, which obviously came as a massive shock. I'm 36 years old, had a normal smear test three years ago. My latest smear at the end of November showed high grade dyskaryosis. Went for a colonoscopy on 21st December where the consultant also performed a leizt procedure, first shock as that wasn't expected! She said she wasn't concerned but the diagnosis came on Monday that it's definitely cancer. They suspect 1b but need to wait for a scan. So now I'm terrified I've had this for three years and the scan will show its far more advanced especially as looking back now I've definitely had symptoms, probable abnormal bleeding every now and then for at least a year but due to being on the mini pill and having no periods thought it was just a bit of break through bleeding. Watery discharge over the summer also. I can't get over that my last smear was normal and I've gone straight to this, anyone experienced ge same? Sorry for such a long post, it does help writing it down. I can't eat or sleep with worry especially as I have a nearly 4 year old, I cry every time I look at him. Thank you for reading.

Laura

Hi Laura,

I am sorry to hear your bad news, you have come to the right place for support.

I went from a normal smear to a large tumour which had spread into five pelvic lymph nodes over three years.

That was just under 22 years ago!

So take a deep breath. Your cancer has been caught really early. It's entirely treatable. The chances of success at this stage are in excess of 90 per cent. Just make sure that you keep yourself as well as possible for treatment by following the healthiest lifestyle you can so that you can bounce back rapidly from any treatment. Eating well and not smoking etc will give you something constructive to focus on too. Do those things and you have got this covered! I hope to speak to you again in another 22 years!

Good luck,

Karen x

Thank you Karan, that is exactly what I needed to hear! Hope you are doing well too. Laura x

Hi Laura

I was in exactly the same place as you last year so remember clearly how stressful it was. I'd had clear smear tests so was initially worrying myself stupid how far this had spread. To start with the hospital thought I could be a 2b, but after my MRI it was a 1b. 

I had a radical Laproscopic hysterectomy and am now on 3 x monthly check ups. The point you are at now it definitely the worse. As Karen says, try and keep yourself occupied.

Wishing you the very best

Helen x

Hi Laura, my story is very much the same as your, I had same procedure as you on 4th January and got my results on 16th and it’s come back as cancer and it’s a total shock, I had a scan yesterday and my hospital will be having a meeting on Friday to discuss my case and where to go from there, im totally with you it’s devastating and for our family but we have to as strong as we possibly can and stay positive, my emotions are all over the place just like you. Sending you lots of hugs and please keep us updated as how you get on and I will do the same xxxxx

Thank you Helen, that is also very comforting, I hope your check ups all go well xxx

Thank you Kax7550, wishing you all the best too, we can do this! Yes will keep you posted, it certainly has helped talking to all you lovely ladies xxx

Thanks Laura. Keep posting and let us know how you get on. If you are getting in a real state go and see your GP, I did and he prescribed anxiety pills. I didn't end up taking them, but there is always help as well as this forum if you need it xx

Good advice thanks Helen xxx

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well. Having a chest x ray today, MRI scan booked in for the 4th Feb and follow up appointment with the consultant on the 11th Feb. I'm working myself into a right state, went to the doctor who's signed me off work and given me diazipam to calm me down. Feel a bit of a fool as there are worse off people then me but the unknown is is making me ill. I can't help think of the all the pain I've been in over the years with my back and hips so I'm convinced it's spread. Sorry for the rant just not coping well xxxx

Also had a letter from consultant to confirm it's adenocarcinoma so it's glandular. Read this is the type that can be easily missed xxxx

Yes, that's why mine was missed too. Adenocarcinoma is it?

They wouldn't have told you 1B is they had suspected it had spread. The scans will reveal more but its most likely to be just as they have said. 

Treatment is very successful with a greater than 90% chance of cure. So focus on that and you will be just fine.

Karen x

Thank you Karen, you're a gem and appreciate the support. Looks like you've had good news with you latest scan, really pleased for you xxx

Hi Laura

I was 1b adenocarcinoma too which my smear didn't pick up. Before my staging which took a couple of weeks I just had a meltdown wondering how long I'd had it, how far it had gone. I totally know where you are coming from. I got signed off by doctor too, I work with figures so my head definitely wasn't in the right place. After I'd had my scans and a clear plan of my treatment my mood definitely changed for the better. Please feel free to ask me any questions if it helps. It wont be long before you have your plan in place. xx

Thank you Helen. I tried one day back at work and got zilch done, Im a civil engineer so concentration is a must, was also very anxious around people. The waiting is definatly taking its toll! Thank you again for your support xxx

Hi all

A quick update, finally had some clear answers on Friday. MRI scan was clear, the tumour was just under 2cm, well diffirentiated  (please excuse the spelling!) but no clear margins so due to have a hysterectomy soon. As you all predicted I feel so much calmer now I know what is going on so just want to say a hugh thank you for the support it has been a massive help! I'm even going back to work until my op. Wishing you all the very best.

Laura

Xxxx

Well done Laura. Good luck with the operation. 

Karen x