Surgery to remove lymph nodes post treatment

Hi ladies
I finshed my chemorad back in July and after picking up a lymph node on my PET scan i have been advised surgery is the way forward as the lymph node has grown since my last scan.
Im meeting my consultant today to talk about surgery.
Had anyone had this surgery? Just frightened of whats ahead.
Keep up the fight ladies your all amazing!
Leeanne xx

Hi Leeanne

I had about 20 lymph nodes removed but this was part of a radical hysterectomy. I then had chemo rad. My cancer had spread to my nodes 6/7 I believe, so they wanted to remove as many as possible in case it had spread upwards. I was told I would be high risk for lymphodoema, and in fact I do now have the condition, but at least I have greater peace of mind that everything possible was done. Good luck in making the decision.

Im booked in to have my lymph nodes removed on the 9th May Rachel.....what is lymphadema like? Bearable? I feel so frightened of everything at the moment. Thankyou for replying xx

Hi Leanne,

You may never get lymphodoema, so try not to go there and worry yourself even more. I was diagnosed with it after a flight , I n which my ankles swelled up. A referral to the lymphodoema clinic confirmed it. I now wear special compression stockings and do manual lymphatic drainage each day. my legs look pretty much the same, although at times look a bit lumpy and bumpy like cellulite! Not a good look but it could be worse. Good luck for the 9th and don't think the worst as it may not happen x

Thanks Rachel.....i will let you know how i get on and im trying to stay positive. Xx

Hi Leeane,  

I didn't have radiation or chemo but I did have lymph nodes removes as a precaution. The main thing I would say is to be prepared to be swollen immediately after....I couldnt fit my watch on, rings ons and was a stone heavier when i weighed myself the next day. The positive thing is within two weeks I was back to normal. The problem I had was no one mentioned swelling to me...also my lady parts were swollen...again this is completely normal. 

Peppermint tea is good, regularly get up and walk around to stop fluid pooling. 

Best wishes

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle, its always good to hear everyones experiences. I will get the peppermint tea in. Its good to know what to expect. How are you now Michelle? Xx

Hey Leeane,

Ya it is definitely better to be prepared! My lymph nodes were clear and I healed well. I do have minor fluid collection at the top of one thigh but is in not visible through trousers. I think it is more the peace of mind more than anything that will make the op worth it. 

Best wishes

Michelle