Success

I had my diagnosis on 6 December and had the staging confirmed as 1B a few weeks later. I had both adenocarcinoma and squamous cell types of cancer.

It was a tough Christmas waiting for my surgery date but last week I had a radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymph node dissection. I chose to keep my ovaries.

Not only did the surgeon do an amazing job, but I also had the news yesterday that they’ve checked my removed lymph nodes and they’re cancer free. So that’s me 1, cancer 0!

Just have to go for a few post-op checks now. Recovery is going ok - very tired, sore and bruised at the moment but it’s still very early days. Definitely agree with the advice to take things easy…I tried to sit in a chair for a couple of hours when I got home from hospital (a week after the op) and found even that was too much for my body to manage just yet.

Just wanted to say thank you to the Jo’s website and forum, and the people contributing, for all the help and support. And to everyone on the journey, I wish you all the best. Xx

11 Likes

Wonderful news, congratulations! Wishing you many many years of good health and happiness :heart:

3 Likes

Hi, I just wanted to say congratulations, I had a radical hysterecomy on 17th Sept for stage 1b1 and had lymp nodes renoved and also decided to keep my overies. I went back to work in December then started a new job in Janurary. It took me a good few weeks to get over my fatigue and in the earlier days I struggled with sitting and lying comfortable but it does ease! Gentle exercise helped with my fatigue.
I went for my first check up a couple of weeks ago and Im still all clear so feel relieved.
Wishing you a speedy recovery! Xx

2 Likes

@Sianyg Thank you. Glad to hear your first check up was good.

I seem to be a little better at sitting now. But nighttime is the problem at the moment. I’m finding I get a lot of pressure in my pelvis which makes things uncomfortable/ borderline painful and I’m only managing a run of about two hours sleep at a time. Hopefully that’ll improve.

I’ve started to potter around a bit more over the weekend, not doing anything, just wandering. And I can finally put my own socks on now my swelling has gone down.

All seems to be going in the right direction.

Oh, that’s wonderful!! :purple_heart: I’m stage 1b as well & will have my radical hysterectomy tomorrow! So uplifting to read your lymph nodes were clear! I hope your recovery goes well, much love & good wishes!! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

@Juliarrr
All the best for your surgery tomorrow!

I’m two weeks and 2 days post now. I can move around pretty easily and I wouldn’t say I’m in pain any more. I do have twinges, aches, pressure though - all signs of needing to be careful with how much I do.

I’d never been in hospital or had surgery before and my family had been sharing their tips. Here are mine based on my own experience…

• Gas pain is a big deal. I had abdominal surgery rather than laprascopic but either way they pump you full of air to create more space to work. For me it took a good few days to disappear and it was very painful. Moving as best (and gently) as you can helps but don’t be afraid to ask for better / different pain meds if the ones you’ve been offered aren’t working.

• If you’ll be in for a few days, take some babywipes. I wasn’t able / offered an assisted shower until three days after my surgery…before that the HCAs helped me have a basic bedside wash. I felt gross and babywipes just helped take the edge off.

• Also take some antibacterial wipes and your own hand gel. On my ward I noticed the toilets were only cleaned once a day and although there was hand gel around it was never in reach. Sometimes there was a hand wipe on the meal tray but it depended who was on shift.

• My appetite was non existent for the first few days but I made sure to keep drinking water. It’s room temperature and gets boring fast! Take some squash with you or have someone drop in some flavoured water.

• When the consultant / doctors come round, write down what they say or send a message to someone to note down what was discussed - particularly if there are any issues like pain management. I found it hard to keep the timeline straight in my head but I messaged my husband after each meeting so I had a record.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your helpful tipps!! :purple_heart: I haven’t even started packing my bag yet but it’s getting real soon. I know it’s gonna be tough but hopefully this will help to bring me to a NED state.

I will pack everything you suggested & I will certainly take notes as well, so important!!

2 Likes