Struggling with results waiting times

Hi all,

I had a biopsy taken in December which results took around 6 weeks to come back, I called at 4 weeks and they were in and I was able to be given results over the phone, they took about 6 weeks to come through the post.

I had my lettz 7 weeks ago, and I know there can be delays at the moment but I called the end of last week and they've not received anything back from the lab yet, and admitted that they're only just receiving results back from the start of feb. 

im anticipating another 3/4 weeks by the time they've been received, reviewed and typed up but I'm really struggling with the wait. I'd feel more at ease if they were in but not yet typed up as I would have received a call if there was anything they'd need to discuss further.

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing delays or have received lletz results recently and how long they took?

Apologies for the post, I just needed a place to vent. It just feels like it's been such a long emotional process after my smear the start of November, which I'm extremely grateful that we have the screening and it was picked up, but that I can't fully move on until I know what's going on if that makes sense.

thank you! 

Hi Lily 1812,

I totally understand, the waiting is the wrost part!

I had my lletz about 4 weeks ago now. I was told the results would be 4-6 weeks but I was called before 2 weeks and asked to come into the hospital. It turns out they found a very small amount of cancer in my sample. For this reason I believe that if there is anything which needs urgent attention you will get your results pretty quickly! I would assume if you haven't heard anything then that is good news. I know it's hard waiting though.

Good luck with your results,

Xx

I sympathise. I had my dodgy smear in July, and have since had a colposcopy, a biopsy, and a LLETZ. They've now found high-grade CGIN and I will need another LLETZ- but the waiting times are unreal. I wonder if it's because of covid?

I had my LLETZ in early January. Results in 4 weeks, although for some reason the results they gave me then were sketchy and incomplete. MDT another four weeks later, and the letter took another week to arrive. Now there's another four weeks until my next LLETZ. All in all, it will be four months between treatments.

They're a fantastic team at my local hospital, and they work flat out. I actually really worry for their wellbeing, having to cope with a huge workload. But yeah, I worry about how waiting times will affect the patients, including me. 

Hi both,

thank you for your replies, I just needed somewhere to vent I think. I'm so grateful for this service and how hard they work but sometimes your mind just runs away with you! I definitely think that more education is needed around the whole process, it's my first smear and had no clue about anything! No one I know personally has been through this yet so it's felt quite lonely. 

My gp did mention that some labs are also processing covid test results so this might be why there are delays across some parts of the country.

hope you're both doing well and recovering! I'm also really grateful for this forum, everyone's so supportive xx