Struggling with persistent HPV

Hi everyone, I don’t really know where to post this but I am struggling mentally. I am 26F and had the first cervical cancer vaccines well over 10 years ago. My first Pap smear was 12 months ago - HPV (non 16/18) and no cell changes. I believe I know the partner I had contracted this from and I’ve felt so embarrassed, ashamed and angry at myself since (needless to say we are no longer together). I recently had my repeat Pap smear which was again positive and I have been referred for a colposcopy - which is not for at least 3 months due to waiting times. My doctor also didn’t say if they noticed any cell changes on the Pap smear, so I’ve asked for the results.

I just feel so stressed and worried, I feel as though my doctor fobbed me off and I don’t know what I should be doing or if there’s anything I can to help myself. I feel so scared and afraid to be this young and already googling things about cancer. I haven’t even really thought about having children and now it feels like that opportunity has been taken away from me. It feels like my life is over.

I know this is a very long post and I do apologise, I just don’t know where to turn.

Hi there i am new to all this too but it could be possible you just have HPV an no abnormal changes to cells as they usually tell you if there is any changes to cells you can speak to your doctor tho an they will tell you exactly what your smear says the colopscopy is just to have a closer look an make sure theres no changes to cells etc so try not to freak out i did too an you know its really a precautionary measure with HPV present despite the fear we should look at the positive an be thankful there keeping an eye on us the limbo part is hard im waiting biopsy results an my minds overdrive but all this is very common with women an it can be easy to let our mind go crazy over it all xx

1 Like