HPV and yearly smear

So I was diagnosed with HPV but no abnormal cells last year and next smear test is on or around the 20th August 2023 and with it being 3 months away Im so frightened to have this next one done and what the results will be… I just can’t shift this feeling, I’m not sleeping properly as it’s playing on my mind so much. I’m so scared it’s going to come back with bad news… from the time I was told I had HPV and when my next smear would be the time has flown by and now it’s approaching my anxiety is hitting the roof… what are the chances of it coming back even worse

I can’t help my anxiety I’m 31 with a 11 year old daughter

Hi lovely

So sorry to hear this. I completely understand and sympathise with you as I was/am in the same boat as you. The anxiety and the ‘what if’ thoughts drive you crazy don’t they. Just know that you are not alone.

In sept 2021 I had my first HPV positive smear. My baby was 5 months old and my thought immediately went to ‘omg I’m going to die and leave him without a mum’. The doctors were pretty rubbish TBH and didn’t understand why it was getting to me so much and just kept saying it’s nothing to worry about. Fastforward to sept 22 and again my smear was HPV positive but I also had minor cell changes. As I’m sure you can imagine I was in a right state, to the point I packed a bag and was going to leave my husband and son so that I didn’t put them through watching me die of cancer because I was so convinced it would happen.

I was invited for a colposcopy which took place in November 22. I was terrified but I spoke with the Gynae co-ordinator ahead of my appontment and she was amazing. The staff were absolutely wondeful and although the procedure wasnt by any means pleasant, it wasn’t half as bad as I was expecting. The gas and air certainly helped!

I got my results 2 days before xmas and was told that it confirmed mild cell changes. After having a really in depth conversation with my consultant I felt really reassured though. She told me that practically anyone who has/has had sex can come into contact with HPV however, usually after 2-3 years the body’s immune system will fight the virus off, the cells return to normal and things will be fine.

In the tiny percentage that have a persistent infection of HPV, yes it can cause cervical cancer. That’s CAN, not WILL! This is why if they know you have HPV they keep a close eye on you. The tests that they do can detect really early on if you’re cells are changing and they can treat them before it becomes anywhere near cancerous.

An HPV diagnosis is not a death sentence and it can take years, if not decades, for it to become cancerous…IF it even goes that way.

I know it’s easier said than done as I’m starting to feel really anxious about my next smear in September, but worrying is not going to help. Just keep up with your smears, try and lead a healthy lifestyle, stop smoking of you’re a smoker and give your body the best shot at getting rid of the HPV. There’s a lot of info on this forum from ladies who have found certain supplements helped them to clear it so definitely have a read.

Just know you’re not alone and there is so much support on this forum so speak up whenever you feel you need to :sparkling_heart: xx

3 Likes

Thank you so much I really appreciate you replying on my post and I’m so sorry you went through all that worry I hope you doing well now… And the way you have explained everything as put my mind at ease a little… suffering with anxiety just makes everything 1000x worse… And instantly thinking the worse… it’s just awful isn’t it for any mother, I’m just hoping for some good news when my next smear approaches but like you said in your message we are being monitored and there will be treatment to catch things early…

It’s just such a horrible time to be going through I have really tried to keep calm for throughout the year so far but I do have my good and bad days, I’m trying my best to boost my immune system too and Im not a smoker I gave up years ago thank god… but I’m hoping my immune system doesn’t let me down… the whole situation is just so mentally exhausting…

Xx

Im so pleased I read your comment after I posted something myself.
You certainly have empowered me.Thank you

Hello Roses92,

I have just joined this forum after worrying about having persistent HPV. I’ve had it for 7 years and I’m on yearly recall. My consultant has told me there’s nothing to worry about, but I feel like I’ve got a sword of Damocles hanging over me.

When I had my smear done last year, they found low grade cell changes and I had a colposcopy. The consultant treated the lesion with silver nitrate. He told me not to worry, and suggested trying the HPV vaccine to see whether this has any therapeutic benefit. I called my GP about arranging the vaccine, a he was able access the results on his system before I received the biopsy results from the consultant. My GP said they would probably repeat the biopsy because the biopsy was inconclusive. I then received the letter from the consultant to say it was low grade and I’d be recalled in a year. I am due to have my smear on 7 June. I’m panicking that the biopsy results were wrong and I should have had a repeat biopsy a year ago. I’ve got a young daughter and I’m petrified they might have missed something.

I’m otherwise fit and well, I eat well, I exercise, I don’t smoke and my immunity is generally pretty good. I don’t understand why I can’t my body can’t get rid of the HPV…

Has anyone else had HPV for 5 + years?

Thanks in advance x