HPV positive, no abnormal cells

Hiya.
I am in desperate needs in some reassurance. I’m so scared I’m a 30 year old single mother of 1 … I have always been up to date with my smear tests never missed any. All my smear tests have come back normal. But 20th August 2022 I went for a smear test and eventually got my tests back 15th August … saying my results show that I’m HPV positive but also looked for abnormal cervical cells in my sample but they didn’t find any, which means I am currently at low risk of cervical cancer… what does this even mean I am so scared that I haven’t stop crying for the last few days at home and at work. Im petrified. Am I going to get cancer at an early age. I have a 10 year old daughter I’m scared for her. I have never felt this worried or frightened in my life. Is this the start of cancer. Someone please tell me I’m going to be okay and this nightmare will be over very soon

Hi @Charmaine

As scary as all of this is, being HPV positive in no way means you will develop CC or develop abnormalities, although it is the cause its alot more likely that you will suppress the virus around 90% clear it within 2 years before it can potentially do us harm… now that a positive result has been recognised you will be monitored more closely with smears and if (if not when) the virus does cause abnormalities you will be invited for a colposcopy for a closer look at the cervix, depending on the grade of changes they will monitor or treat them before they progress into anything more than CIN… if you have 3 positives in a row but the smear shows no abnormalities the guidelines they follow say you will be invited for the colposcopy at that point

HPV generally needs to be active for a long time before it effects us and cell changes take years to progress into anything more and most cell changes regress on their own without treatment, with the right management the chances of a CC diagnosis in your lifetime really is very slim x

4 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I just feel like my world has come crushing down on me and put on pause. Overthinking and over worrying because of my daughter.

I really hope this ends up being nothing and the HPV will go on its own.

Getting myself in a state isn’t going to do me any favour I know. But wish I could just switch off from this…x

I have another question I might sound silly asking but I really don’t understand and my mind is doing over time…

But if my doctor’s letter says : HPV positive but no abnormal cells were found so I’m at low risk of cervical cancer.

Does that mean I’m low risk HPV or high Risk HPV? X

Charmaine x

Not silly at all :slight_smile:

It generally means you have a high risk type but it hasnt caused any cell changes, without cell changes you are at a very low risk as thats what has the potiential to progresses into CC x

Thank you for giving me some understanding. So really I haven’t got anything to worry about it’s just a case of clearing this out of my body. I have started taking vitamins, eating better and drinking green tea to help my immune system. I’m really hoping by next year’s appointment it will have gone :pensive::pensive: I’m so scared xx

There isnt anything to suggest otherwise :slight_smile: boosting your immune system is definitely the right step to take in combatting the virus, if your a smoker its also recommended to quit as nicotine can help it linger for longer than it should… try to take some comfort in now that they are aware you will be having more regular follow ups, the chances of a CC diagnosis while being monitored is less than 1% xx

1 Like

Not a smoker I gave up few years ago now. Thank god…so I haven’t got to worry about that.

And thank you you have eased my panic mode alot. I have been in a state for days. never felt so much fear like I have in the past week… thank you again for taking the time to reassure me that everything will be ok I really do appreciate it xx

1 Like

Hi, just read your post and I’ve had a letter saying exactly the same. I’m driving myself mad and Google is dangerous!! I don’t know what to think. What vitamins did u take and did you get rid of HPV? Thanks

Unfortunately I still have HPV I won’t know if I have cleared it until I go back for my next smear test this August. Please don’t Google it just stick to this forum for information… Xx

Thanks I think I’ve googled all I can to be honest and probably back round again. I’m a worrier so that doesn’t help, haven’t been able to sleep since I got home to this letter on Friday and I’d actually forgot all about having the smear done 2 months prior. I am very very scared and it’s driving me insane, I’m not sure I can wait a year to know anymore.

1 Like

I totally understand how you feel when I recieved my letter 15th August 2022 I was petrified and over worrying as I have severe anxiety, and my anxiety hasn’t got any better waiting all this time for my next smear which is due on or around 20th August 2023… the waiting has been awful but the ladies on this forum have really put my mind at rest and I’m staying positive the best I can. I’m hoping I will get some good news in a few months
But will cross that bridge when it comes… I know it’s easier said than done but try and stay calm and done over think everything… and don’t Google… everything will be fine … I will be thinking of you xx

1 Like

If you ever want to chat I’m always happy to have a chat, always welcome to message me privately xx

1 Like

Messaged you