Still struggling 9 weeks post radical hysterectomy

I'm 9 weeks post op radical hysterectomy and I'm still really struggling.  I was originally signed off work until next week but saw my GP this week and she has signed me off for a further 4 weeks.  I'm just so frustrated.  I'm really trying to get out and about and do more but it's so hard.  I still get pain and pressure if I'm out walking too far.  If I'm out and sitting up for too long I'm in pain.  This week I went the the theatre one evening and then met a friend for lunch the next day and now I am sore and exhausted and just feeling rubbish.  I really thought I'd be feeling better than this by now.  I so want to go back to work and get back to normal but there's no way I could commute to London and back 5 days a week right now.  Even if I went back on admin duties I don't think I could sit at a desk all day.

It is just me or has anyone else found recovery this long?  It doesn't help that my line manager at work seems to think I should have been back to work and back to normal after 6 weeks....  I just want this all to be over so that I can get on with my life but it's really getting me down.

Hang in there, you've been through a lot and it will get better but 9 weeks isn't that long considering everything. I had my radical hysterectomy last year in Feb and didn't return to work until June. Like you I felt like it was never going to feel better. It felt sore and it hurt to walk very far and my legs were so painful and tender. It will improve but it takes time. 

Sadly too many employers use Google as their medical advice as to how long you should be off work - I know mine did and I was made to feel like a malingerer. They aren't usually aware that there are different types of hysterectomy and what they actually involve. Thankfully my consultant and gp were great and knew that 6 weeks was inappropriate. Be kind to yourself and try and take things a step at a time. It does get better :-) x

It will get easier.  I am in the same boat as you.  Stage 1B1 - Robotic Radical Hysterectomy May 3rd 2018.  It’s been hard work getting over the surgery.  I did have a few problems post surgery.  Just trying to get fitter now. Started swimming and Zumba Gold.  I am still very tired but that could be my age as well (62).  Lucky for me I have decided to retire from my job.  At present I am still off sick but my sick time finishes soon and I will retire.  My next review is November 2018.  Take care of yourself and don’t forget you have had major surgery.  I am lucky my employer has been very kind and hasn’t questioned my sick time. Xx

Took me 5 months to get back to work post hysterectomy. At least 3-4 months for the physical side but also my emotional health took a real kicking.