Radical Hysterectomy - recovery time?

Hello there

I’m 6 weeks post surgery and I’m really finding it hard to imagine going back to work at any time soon! I’m a primary teacher working with 5 and 6 year olds (lots of walking, bending over children, sitting on little chairs involved!) I’m usually really active and used to doing lots. I’m trying hard to walk daily and to try and do around 3000 to 4000 steps a day but I’m finding it hard. I’m getting lots of pain in my right leg and hip; a weird kind of stretching, stabbing pain. Then there’s the weird twingy pain in my lower abdomen which doesn’t exactly make walking a pleasurable experience :frowning: I’ve been signed off from work until the 10th April and I’m starting to get rather concerned about whether I’ll be up to a return to work by that point. Am I expecting too much or is it normal to still be struggling somewhat by this point?
Thanks in advance, Debbie :slight_smile:

Hi Debbie :-)

Recovery varies enormously from patient to patient but one thing is fairly guaranteeable, if you push yourself too hard you will set yourself back. Take it gently, little by little. If you aren't ready to sit on little chairs with five and six-year olds by 10th April then you aren't ready and those little teenies will just have to wait until you are.

By comparison, my treatment was over five years ago and I certainly won't be sitting on tiny chairs with five and six year olds in any hurry ;-)

You be good to yourself, there's only one you!

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thank you for your kind words.  I knew that the recovery was going to take a while but I'm getting really concerned about when I'll be ready to go back to work.   My consultant said 3 months minimum and maybe more due to my job being really active.    I just long for the day where I get to the end of it and don't feel in lots of pain.  I haven't really been doing much at all yet even that feels like it may be too much.  I keep reading things online where people have felt on top of the world after a hysterectomy by week 6 and are back to full capacity.   I do feel like my Headteacher is going to be wondering why I need more time off (when it does say on google that 6 weeks is the recovery time!)   I hate the thought that I may be regarded as a malingerer :-(  

Thanks, Debbie

1 Like