Fatigue after surgery

I’m 13 weeks post radical hysterectomy for 1B1. Everything went to plan and I’m lucky that I haven’t had any complications to date. But I feel so tired.

I know this is to be expected and can last for a while - I’m trying to be kind to myself on that front. However I’m now at the end of my phased return to work so can’t really be doing with the lack of brain power and heavy feeling come 2pm.

I’ve blocked out the end of my days as I really don’t feel up to functioning in meetings. I’d rather just be quiet and get on with some desk work.

The persistent fatigue is leading me down a bit of an emotional hole too. I kept my ovaries but feel like I’m on a rollercoaster - the tiredness just adds to that.

I don’t feel like doing anything, I’m doing a lot of emotional eating and then I’m obsessing about my weight. I’m yo-yo-ing between saying it’s ok if I let go for a little while it’s not the end of the world, to berating myself - I can’t have part of me removed and end up heavier after everything!

I’m struggling to see the wood for the trees at the moment and just feel really stuck. Does anyone have any advice at all? x

Hi CV26

I suggest seeing your GP about your fatigue, maybe you need some blood tests - thyroid etc plus hormone levels to check your ovaries are working as they should.

A cc diagnosis and a radical hysterectomy take their toll both mentally and physically and it’s easy to underestimate how long recovery might take - 13 weeks beyond treatment is stiil early days considering what you’ve been through. Where possible try and make things easier for yourself to preserve your energy for work e.g. minimise housework - it’s OK to drop standards when necessary, maybe hire some help. If affordable and possible maybe consider reducing your hours for a while?

You mention emotional eating; maybe some counselling would help to get some insight into your feelings which in turn should help with the eating issues.

Best wishes

x

2 Likes