Stage 3c moved to lung

I completed my radiotherapy + chemo + brachy in May 2023. I was stage 3C. Recent MRI, CT, PET scan shows I’m all clear in my cervical area yay! Very happy! But the PET scan shows a ‘lentil’ sized amount has likely moved to my lung. I’ve another PET scan in 4 weeks. Has this happened to anyone else? Xx

2 Likes

@CarolineE

Didn’t want to read and run. I don’t have any answers or experiences to share with your situation.

Whilst it’s great that you are clear in the cervical situation it is beyond the pale the scans have picked up something. Hopefully time will fly and you’ll get some answers.

I am sure some other ladies will be along soon with more support

Love Mena

2 Likes

I also did not want to read and run. Is this confirmed that there may be some metastasis or just a doctor assumed so? Stay positive till you have a definite answer!

Also, if it is a small amount like lentile size, they may offer another treatment option for you. If treatment is in the same area (treated before) it is harder to re-treat but if it is in a different area (like in your case) it is easier to respond to chemo positively. xx

1 Like

Hi Caroline,

This was what happened to me. I got diagnosed 3C in Feb 2022 and went through chemorads to find out in Aug 2022 that the cancer was all clear from the cervix but had metastasized to my lungs as a small dot.

Its unusual for this to happen - cervical cancer metastasis generally has a pattern to spread to stomach area first and unusual to skip all that and go to lung - is what my oncologists said. But shit still happens.

Here is the good news though. I got onto immunotherapy (keytruda) immediately after it spread and the cancer in my lungs went away in a few months.

I’ve cleared 3 scans since then and it was an all-clear. I hope what showed up in your lung is just inflammation but in the case it is a spread, talk to your oncologist about keytruda and avastin as next line treatment.

9 Likes

I was diagnosed with lung mets 6 months ago .
This is my 2nd recurrence after being 7 years NED
One single pulmonary 20mm nodule identified on CT scan .
No spread seen anywhere else .
I had a lung resection and last 2 scans since have been NED .
I was told my lung recurrence is very unusual in the fact that no cancer seen anywhere else and just in the lung
“ not the typical path this cancer takes “
I’m watching and waiting now , next scan November time .

8 Likes

Hello, I finished my treatment in April this year and i am panicking about reoccurrence in my lung as i have been coughing for almost a week now! I get my next results on Tuesday and my anxiety is through the roof! Hence the reason i am on this at 1am as i can’t stop worrying aswell as coughing.
Did either of you have any symptoms?
How are you? x

Sorry to hear you’re going through this :heart: @CarolineE
I hope they get onto of it quickly xx

That’s amazing news @Greeni :heart:

Thank you I will ask again about immunotherapy. My best friend is a haematology oncologist so she comes with me to doctor meetings and she has been asking about testing my biopsy for PDL1. Her concern is that given my original biopsy and histology in February this year had to go to a secondary laboratory (central lab) because the Lab failed to pick up the cancer, she thinks the sample wasn’t big enough and might not show any PDL1 even if I have it. I found out last week that my PET scan now shows activity back in my cervix so they are doing an Examination Under Anaesthestic on Monday. I have asked that they use this biopsy on Monday to test for PDL1.
I thought that brachytherapy was meant to be the miracle cure for CC. According to the EMBRACE research data 1500 (approx) women were treated with brachytherapy and in 90% of cases they had no recurrence in 3 yrs. I’m upset that it’s come back so quickly and I am keen to explore immunotherapy before my life expectancy is seriously cut short.
Apologies for my crazy inarticulate waffle here! I think I’m still processing xx

6 Likes

I’m really sorry about your experience but please try and keep your faith, I know it’s really hard but it’s worth it. I’m from Romania and on some groups I met women with reccurences in the lungs and more places, they had suergery, chemo, radio or immuno and they’re healthy after 7, 10 years. Also I read that at the most recent oncologic congress they found more efficient treatment for cc. Prayers for your healing :pray:

6 Likes

This is so hopeful to hear - I am just starting taxol/carboplatin and the works for my lung recurrence (18 months after first 1b2 diagnosis.)

2 Likes

Hey, just wanted to give you a virtual hug and share my current experience.

I was initially diagnosed last October, and finished chemo rads in February. I had my 6 month pet scan in September, following a clear mri in May. My consultant called yesterday to say that the pet scan has found something in my lung, although unsure at the moment if it’s cancer - he thinks it may be sarcoidosis. I’m having a lung function test on Saturday and then will have a needle biopsy under deep sedation.

I was in the car (not driving!) with my kids when I got the call, so wasnt able to question him properly about what they had seen - will have to grill them for details when I go in for my tests.

2 Likes

The biopsy sounded scary but my experience was very smooth and painless. Twilight sedation, I was aware of some motion here and there in the room, then I had a nice nap as they ask you to lie quietly for a couple of hours and do scans to make sure all is well with the site. Good luck and hope it is a nothing :hugs:

1 Like

I’m not sure why I’ve only just come across this post but I was diagnosed 3c1 in march and found out in September my pelvis is clear but the cancer is in a lymph node in my chest. How are you doing now?

Have done 1 of 6 rounds new chemo: taxol, carboplatin, round 2 next Thursday will include avastin. Feeling pretty great for now. Chopped off my hair so there’s less to lose and sorry it won’t last as I rather like it. On the other side I’ll have it back again. Are you also doing same chemo?

3 Likes

I’ve done 1 round of carbo taxol avastin and pembro. I chopped my hair and liked it too but mine thinned so quick, literally overnight loads came out. I’ve shaved it and don’t mind that either. At least we know we’ll like it when it starts growing back. I was supposed to have second dose tomorrow but my white cells are too low so they’re delaying it

3 Likes

I too went several years without a recurrance. I was wondering why you opted for surgery over radiation therapy. I am facing a similar choice regarding 1 spot in my lungs. I would appreciate any thoughts or experianxes.n

Ask about nulastin or a white blood cell booster. It really helps. I had one each treatment and it really helped me.

I was diagnosed stage 2b on 2016. I recieved chemo and radiation and was in the clear until 2019. I had a repeat PET scan and they found a few spots 1-3cm each in my lungs. No where else. I had chemo again followed by Keytruda and it cleared. I was on keytruda for 24 months for monthly infusions. We stopped keytruda in 2021. All pet scans were clear until last month. I had a repeat PET scan and they found a small 14mm spot in the upper lung. Tryong to decide between surgery or radiation since it is just 1 place.

1 Like

Hello , I was told radiotherapy was not an option for me as the nodule was to close to the heart , surgery was my only treatment option offered to get rid of the nodule .