Stage 2b help!

Hi everyone iv recently been diagnosed with stage 2b had smear but doctor said it would have been wrong so here we are,
I’m so scared all iv read online is horror stories I’m due to have radiochemotherapy
I was just hoping someone had some good news I could hold onto :heart:

Hiya, so sorry you find yourself here, the best advice I can give you is to stop looking online! Stick to trusted sites like this because most information you find when using Dr google is outdated and inaccurate.
There are loads of us 2b girls here that will tell you that chemo and radiation is the gold standard and very doable! You are at the hardest part but when you have your treatment plan in place you honestly surprise yourself how strong you can be, read through people’s stories and you will see your not alone xx

1 Like

Certainly survivable. You just gotta get through the treatment, but it flies!! I was diagnosed at age 34 and I am 60 now. Still going strong!

14 Likes

Hi im 6 months post chemoradiotheraphy & brychytherpy. My best advice is stay positive & do everything they advise you to do, whilst having treatment. I personally was very fatigue at the end of the week & found i had more energy in the morning. My positive is i am 3 months in remission. Any questions please ask away :slight_smile:

Wow that’s amazing well done you ! Thank you so much for your reply it’s really helped out my mind at ease a little I’m 34 and felt like the only young (ish) one so I’m really appreciative of your comment xx

1 Like

Thank you so much it’s so encouraging on here I’m so glad my doctor pointed me here ! Thank you for taking the time to reply x

2 Likes

The survivors tend to get on with their lives but there are loads of us out there. One of my sisters also had cervical cancer, bizarrely at the same time as me and she’s alive and well too. Like many others she doesn’t ever refer to it, she just gets on with it. You just hear about the people who don’t survive so it feels more frightening than it actually is. You can do this.

7 Likes

Ah thank you so much!
And wow what a story so glad you and your sister are well again :heart:

1 Like

Hi Danik,

I was diagnosed with 2b adenocarcinoma in Aug 2020. I finished treatment in November 2020 and I had a complete response to the treatment without evidence of disease. I am in yearly scans now and 6 months check ups. I am fully back to normal and keep going with life without any significant side effects. You will get through it! Keep strong. I hope all the best with your treatment!!

Xxx

2 Likes

Hi Danik,

I diagnosed when I was 33 so you are not the only one! Unfortunately is quite common in our age group.

Xxx

Can’t thank you ladies enough for giving me some positive stories it’s helping me so much !
First week down 4 togo !
Can I ask if any of you remember how long after you finished treatment did they scan to see if they had got it all ? I’m assuming they wait a little while after then scan but that seems torturous! X

1 Like

Hi Danik,

After the radiotherapy, chemo and brachytherapy have been completed, they usually request a MRI after 12 weeks. This is because treatment can cause inflammation, so they want to make sure this has healed before they scan.
Hope this helps x

Ah ok wow that’s so long ! That seems like it’ll be the longest 12 weeks ever ha,
Iv just done my first week and man im wondering how I’ll do another 4 weeks it’s tough going I got a cold almost immediately and can’t shift it either xx

1 Like

It is the longest 12 weeks ever! Usually if you’re having brachytherapy they can give you an approx idea if you have been responding well to the treatment of radiotherapy and chemo as they do an internal examination and another MRi, luckily when i had mine the tumour was not visible anymore after chemo and radio. This will be confirmed one way or the other at the 12 week MRi scan in 3 weeks time. My oncologist calls me every 3 weeks just to check in on me ie side effects and questions etc, which is a god send, as your mind runs away with itself. Don’t be scared to ask any questions, the oncologist teams are fantastic!(in my case)
You will do it! be positive…you’ve got this! Take time to rest if possible as our immune systems are so low during treatment.
Good luck with your treatment and let us all know how you get on xx

That must have been so nice to just hear they couldn’t see any Tumour for you even if you had to wait the 12 weeks I’m so glad it worked out in your favour 🫶🏼
I am trying to sit and rest as much as possible but I have a 3and 10 year old ha my husband has been amazing tho looking after them/me
I haven’t been told too much about brachytherapy yet but iv read some online and it does not sound great a little scary probably because iv no idea what it’s like but can you give me your insight if you wouldn’t mind ? Just so I’m a little prepared what’s to come ! I think the doctor said I’d be in hospital around 4 days x

1 Like

Hi Danik

The brachytherapy is hard going im not going to lie.
Are you in the uk? as the USA have a totally different treatment plan for Brachytherapy.
Mine was over 3 day i.e went in on the Tuesday afternoon, had the treatment on the Wednesday and was discharged Thursday morning.
On the treatment day, you are basically lying on your back for up to 24hours depending on your treatment plan. I was taken to theatre and opted for a spinal so i could be awake during the procedure(so glad i did)
This is where they do an internal examination and will give you an indication whether you have responded to treatment. Then they insert the metal nodes which precisely target the tumour, they pack the nodes in very well so they don’t move. You will also be fitted with a catheter at this point. I was then taken to have a MRi scan, so your consultant oncologist can make sure everything is in the right place, he/she will then produce a exact treatment plan specifically for you, this can take up to 5 hours. While this is happening you are back on the ward waiting all the time unable to move and lying flat at all times(it sounds bad, but i promise you its not that bad , its just the waiting time and boredom) Take lots of magazines and your phone charger to pass the time.
They finally came to collect me and my treatment plan was for 17.5 hours on the brachytherapy machine. You will be in a room on your own during the treatment, you can speak to the nurses at any point whilst you are in there. Nurses will come and check on you approx every 2hours. There was a t.v and you can use your phone. You can also eat and drink during the procedure
I personally had quite alot of discomfort and pain during the procedure, but i was given plenty of pain relief and support all throughout the treatment. The nurses and doctors were wonderful.
Try not to worry about the brachytherapy treatment atm, focus on getting through your radio and chemo.
Its amazing how all us ladies cope with the intense treatment, but we do and get through it.
Your hubby sounds great, take all the support and pampering thats offered :wink: xx

1 Like

Oh gosh yes that sounds intense sounds like the boredom will be hard but obviously it’s for the best outcome! I’m assuming you can’t have visitors, thank you for the information it’s puts my mind at ease slightly to know what to expect ish, I’ll speak to my doctor closer to the time to obviously ask exactly what’s gona happen.
Yes I’m in the uk (south west)
It’s mad how much our bodies can take I was thinking this recently it’s astonishing it really is !
Again thank you so much for taking time out of your Sunday to reply so much I’ll let you enjoy your day now ha x

1 Like

I could have visitors on the ward, but not whilst having the treatment. Tbh you are constantly being monitored and having tests prior to treatment, that alot of ladies on the ward didnt have time for any visitors. Some hospitals may have different rules on visitors, so best to check beforehand.
You’re more than welcome, I’m always here if you want any advise
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, take care x

1 Like

Hi Danik,

Don’t be discourage my first scan was 3 months ago which showed a spot and the clean scans came 6 months after the treatment it takes time for some people. The good thing is that the treatment works months after finishing treatment.

Xx

Hi @Danik just seen your in the south west, so am I lol! I don’t want to post exactly where on a topic though!
Also wanted to say Bracky isn’t as bad as it sounds, yes uncomfortable maybe but I had the same as you will staying in a few days, the nurses are great and honestly just want you to be comfortable and pain free, I had visitors every day and the worst bit was having to lie flat! X