Stage 2B diagnosis - age 36 with a 13 week old baby

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone had a similar diagnosis as me. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on the 5th November, 10 weeks after having my first baby. Yesterday I found out it was stage 2B. They have confirmed my treatment will be radiation and chemotherapy. It will begin before Christmas. I have to stop breastfeeding Ava so I need to begin the weaning process now. I also found out that I won't be able to have more children. This is the hardest thing to accept. I'm finding it very difficult to get my head around it. Have any of you received a similar diagnosis. Do you know if there any way on which you can harvest eggs or is it worthwhile getting a second opinion. I'm attending [name of hospital removed] in Dublin.

Hi Caitriona,

I am 34 and stage 2b, found out Dec 2nd, my son was 12 weeks old day after diagnosis and I too had to stop breastfeeding but that was due to scan and pain meds and being whisked off to hospitak in ambulanfe so no time to wean.

I know harvesting eggs can be done but no sure of circumstances or process; friend of mine had breast cancer and did this.

Re weaning if you can do it slowly dropping a feed every couole days and replace with bottle then will reduce risk of mastitis although Ive been lucky and not been engorged or leaking since 2nd day. 

The diagnosis is a lot to get head around but ladies on here and theres a private support group on facebook too which is great. There is also a charity called mummys star especially for people in our situation diagnosed during pregnancy or within a year of giving birth.

Do you mind me asking how you discovered there was a problem? Did you have symptoms or was it postpartum smear?

Always here if you need to chat or you can find me on facebook too its Rhea Crighton and me and daughter are in pic with facepaint : ) xxx

Caitriona and rhea I'm really sorry to hear of your diagnosis,  my youngest baby was one year old when I was diagnosed and it was so hard to cope with the fear, treatment and having to function for the sake of the babies.  I'm now nearly 2 years on and doing great. Although its a horrible situation the treatment is very successful and it's lovely you've found each other on here in similar situations, stage and with the babies so can help each other through. Love and hugs to you both xxx

Hi Libby123,

It is so nice to meet other people going through a similar thing and it is so reassuring to hear stories from people iike yourself. I hope it will give Caitriona a glimmer of hope in a dark time as it has me xxx

So pleased to see you have found one another so quickly! Brilliant! Cheering you all along on this odd journey.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thank you for your comments. It is really reassuring talking to someone who is going through or went through the exact same thing. I know I am not alone. Rhea,  I had abnormal smears since 2012. They were CIN2-3. In August 2015 I had them treated. In February 2016 the cells were low grade abnormal again by this stage I was pregnant with Ava so they gave me a follow up appointment for November. I was still bleeding postpartum when I went for my checkup. Two days after my checkup I received a call to say the cells were cancerous. I then met with the consultant. The following week I had an EUA, MRI, PET-CT scan. They have yet to confirm the type but my treatment plan won't change. I'm back at the hospital tomorrow so I'll find out my start date then. 

My sister who was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in January this year  told me about mummy's star. I am in touch with the group. It's great. Lots of support and encouragement. 

Hi Caitriona

I was diagnosed in May aged 34 I too was attending a hospital in Dublin id say the same one as yourself i had 6 chemotherapy sessions 28 radiotherapy and 3 internal radiations ...I have no children and was offered the chance to harvest my eggs the hospital arranged an appointment for me with the clinic but they were keen for me to start treatment asap so didnt get the chance to freeze any eggs also at the time I think I was in that much shock etc I wasnt in the right frame of mind to go through with the egg freezing ...feel free to pm me or reply here if you need any information I met two lovely girls similar age to me getting the treatment at the same time so we kept each other company on the chemo days... the staff are lovely and the treatment was fine for me the only side effect I had was tiredness and diarrohea no naseau or anything like that the staff in the hospital are absolutley lovely ...all the best to you, siobhan x

Hi 

I was diagnosed stage 2b cc this year and I'm 36. And after I was told on the 2rd of November I was floating in a kind of limbo. And I do have a daughter but she is 8. I have just finished my first week of radiotherapy (due to health issues I can't have chemo) but I was so so worried until I found this place the love support and even the virtual hugs make you smile. Radiotherapy isn't as bad as it sounds you just lie under an x-ray machine which slowly goes round you and does its job. It's a 5-10 min thing (not including the positioning) everyone here is on here for the same reason,we all support each other and nothing to shy away from asking or embarrassing as many are going through it or have been through it. If you worry you will exhaust your body and it's exhausted enough after your Lil one! I have got to the point now where I don't plan my days and look forward to crossing more of my treatment days. And I couldn't have done it without this website. And whatever you do DON'T GOOGLE! Worst thing you can do is that!

Keep in touch and feel free to pm me or anyone else or just keep us informed. Big virtual hug!!

HarleeKwin xxx

Meant to say 23Rd November sorry not 2nd

I was diagnosed 2B On July 15th. I'm 27 with no children so was offered the option to preserve my fertility. I started a course of IVF on the 27th July and had my eggs removed and frozen on the 15th August. I started chemo and radio on the 22nd August. 

i now have 7 eggs frozen at a hospital in Manchrster but have been told I won't be able to carry a baby. The eggs have been frozen to use for possible future surrogacy. 

I found the whole process really stressful but I'm glad I did it looking back. 

Have a good think and get as much advice as possible before deciding what you want to do. If you want to talk at any point DM me. We can speak over the phone if you want to. 

good luck with everything xxxx 

Hi Caitriona 

Im 24 and was also recently diagnosed with stage 2b.

As the doctors want to start my treatment straight away (5 days radio,1 day chemo, for 6 weeks then two days brachy in the end) there is no opportunity for me to freeze my eggs. Ive always wanted to adopt and for me it's just a sign that that was what I was supposed to do, I know everyone takes the news differently but that was my first thought when I was told I'll never be able to have my own Children. I'm just waiting for an appointment in Dublin for a pet scan to make sure it hasn't spread further before I start my treatment. I'm a firm believer in ever cloud has a silver lining