So confusing.....

Ok, so yesterday was a bit of a strange day! Had appointment with gynaecologist to discuss lletz results and I was weirdly calm about the whole thing - first time I’ve been calm since this all started back in April!

So - the gynaecologist tells me that the pathologist report indicates that there are not clear margins on the lletz so they wanted another piece removed to hopefully remove the remainder of the disease from the cervix. Rewind please - I haven’t been told that there is actual disease there - just that it was suspected! So, apparently I have squamous cell carcinoma and the pathologist report indicates that there is a high chance that it is also higher up in the endocervix at a glandular level. Had biopsies taken from further up and another lletz procedure to hopefully get the ‘left overs’ from the last time and now I am back to waiting and wondering again until the results come back.

At no time did the gynae use the C word so I am assuming that he thought I knew that SCC is cancer - it was actually the nurse who confirmed that. I just find the whole thing so confusing and I have no real idea of what is going on inside me - I’m a relatively intelligent person yet I am baffled by the words and terms used and I feel so stupid asking questions. None of the docs / nurses I have seen have been anything less than amazing - its completely down to me that I feel that way but I just feel totally thick! Case in point - one question I did ask was ‘is this normal?’!! Well even I know that its not normal, otherwise I wouldn’t be where I am, in a gynaecologists office discussing pathology results! No idea what I was thinking!!

I’m not really looking for advise or anything - I think I just wanted to put that down in writing.

I am so glad I found this forum though - I think I would have been completely and utterly out of my head with worry had I not found you all.

Debx

Hello Deb...

Im really sorry you find yourself in here, I just want to add that I am completely new to this (diagnosed 1 weeks ago) and I have no idea what's going on with you but didn't want to read and run. 

Theres some amazing ladies in here very in the know of this type of thing! I have found great comfort from them and have calmed down a little since 'chatting' to them.

Dont be afraid to ask any questions on here or your next appointment ... No question is too silly!!

take care, 

xxx 

Hi Deb :-)

Yes, 'carcinoma' is doctor-speak for cancer but don't let that frighten you. Cervical cancer is very very cureable/treatable and the treatments are very doable. Please stay well away from Google and ask all your questions on here. Sorry I am in a dreadful rush today but I will catch up with you later :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thanks Michelle and Tivoli

I think its just that word that is so frightening.  In my sensible head I know that this is perfectly treatable and I am going to be ok, but then my freaked out head switches on and all I can think is oh crap, I have cancer!  Words I never thought I would have to say.  Never going near google again - ever - for anything other than cinema times - so watch out for all my silly questions appearing on here.

Thanks for taking the time to say Hi.

Debx

Hello Deb. Just starting posting here myself after my colposcopy showed cancer. My colposcopist (?) showed me everything on the screen, but I'm waiting for the biopsy results and scan for more info. It seems unusual that I was told so much at the colposcopy, I'm hoping it's just that she was a straight talking New Zealander who realised I needed to see and hear it all...and not that it's huger or more advanced than usual (like you, mind going into overdrive). I noticed the word cancer was avoided at all costs, in fact it was only me that actually said it and then she agreed - at one point saying "what you said" rather than actually saying the word. Avoiding Google is a good plan, I'll be joining you with the questions on here.

Anne x

Wow! Isn't that interesting! I think that we have learned to be terrifed of cancer from our parents and the generations before them, just as fear of snakes is a learned behaviour. Certainly in this day and age most cancers are nothing like the 'death-sentence' they were a generation or two ago. Perhaps modern doctors are trying to break the fear by using different language.

Could be - they do seem to use every other possible term, until it's absolutely unavoidable. Maybe they are used to having patients just switch off entirely once cancer is mentioned and so try to get as much in as possible while hoping it's all sinking in. Problem is, it sometimes has the opposite affect, as we then get scared because THEY seem terrified of the word...or maybe that's just me!

Anne x