So confused

I had my colposcopy on the 6th september and have just had my biopsy results which show no abnormalities, however I have to go back into the hospital for a (loop excision?) where they remove a bit of my cervix to check as they said there definitely must be abnormalities as these have shown up in the smear so they need to compare my smear results as well.

I am just very worried as initially after my smear, before my colposcopy, my GP rung me and said that my smear had shown concerning changes in my cervix which were pre cancerous or early stage cancer.

At colposcopy the nurses said that she shouldn’t have told me that and my smear had shown the most severe changes (I think they said glandular) which just required quicker treatment.

The nurse who rung me with my biopsy results said that it may be because it’s glandular changes that the biopsies didn’t show abnormalities.

I’m just so confused and obviously worried that the doctor must have known something from my smear that these biopsies haven’t shown.

Hi Coral,

I'm pretty much in a similar boat.

Smear back in 2015 was boarderline and hpv+, colposcopy and biopsy inconclusive, but consultant was happy that any abnormality would be very low grade. Smear to be done in 2018!

Have since had baby, but by chance had letter inviting me for a smear. Smear revealed abnormalities and this was confirmed as Glandular abnormality at my colposcopy today and given immediate Lletz (loop incision) despite nothing visually showing up. Now the wait begins for the pathology results..  I'm not sure what or who to believe, I just hope that if it is *something* that it has been caught early enough and/or the lletz has removed it.

The Lletz for me was quite uncomfortable as I bled quite a bit and had to be cortorised, but I'm feeling ok now. Take someone with you if you can.

Good luck xoxox

Hi Susei,

thanks for your message. I hope you are feeling better after your LLETZ. Waiting is horrible but just try to keep busy, fingers crossed for you :) take care xx