Confused

Hi guys, 

I'm new here just feeling completely confused and I don't know how I should be feeling right now. Just wanted to get some perspective from others going through similar situations.

I had my first smear 4 weeks ago and two weeks after that I had a message for a colposcopy appointment which I had today. I've not been given my smear results so I have zero idea what's going on (I have phoned my GP and asked for them but they said they can't provide me with them but can see I have an appointment with the gyno so to wait for that). 

Colposcopy went okay bit painful which I hear is normal and the lady took 2 biopsies after she said that she can see pre cancerous cell changes but that she needs to wait for the results from the biopsy to see if its cancerous or not?? Which confused me more.

I've been told that I'll have the results in 7 days and then we can discuss treatment. I don't know whether to be upset or fine or what. Has anyone else had a situation like this or any advice/insight would be amazing. 

This is a very, very common situation, and it almost always has a good outcome. The colposcopy is just a closer and more accurate look at the trouble areas so they can avoid them progressing to anything sinister. If the changes are low grade you will watch and wait and they will likely go away on their own. If they are higer level changes you might need a LLETZ. 

i think everyone feels stunned and confused and scared by news like this, but the data is on your side for this to be a minor bump in the road.

Best wishes!

Hey lovely.

It's hard believe me. Can't imagine especially when it's your first ever smear too. Try not to panic as you are in safe hands and they will act quickly to get whatever they need to sorted out! I've just had a lletz done for CIN2 abnormal cells. Feel more relieved now than I did at the beginning as I know it's all been taken away! CIN's are not cancer they are pre cancerous so they will treat you so if they were to turn into something more serious in 10-15yrs time! It's not a nice experience I know but you will come out the other end feeling more relieved and relaxed. Couldn't you ask the colposcopy for your smear results as they will have them and ask what level it suggested? It's not fair if you don't know what your working with.

x

Hello Katie95

I can recommend phoning Jo's helpline for moral support and information. MacMillan also has a useful helpline. Remember the point of screening is to catch cell changes early so that they can be treated. I can also recommend the book The Gynae Geek which explains test results really clearly. Apparently the author has a lot of followers on instagram. I am not on instagram but if you are you may find it useful. I would also emphasise that each patient is individual and that once you have the facts and a treatment plan you will feel calmer. One of the hardest things for me is managing my overactive imagination! Facts are better. Be kind to yourself. Try to keep busy. I find a walk in the fresh air helps to clear my head.

Hope this helps

A x

I'm in a similar boat. Somehow I missed a couple of smears - last one was 2008 - I don't know how I did that I was always careful to attend. But had a smear three weeks or so ago and got the letter last week saying I have HPV. Feel like I've been hit by a truck. I've read the leaflets and the websites. But I'm still terrified. It's because I have no control at all I can't do anything about it. Just have to wait and trust the process and that's a scary place to be. But it helps to know it's not me on my own so I hope it helps you too. Xxxxxx

Thankyou so much for all your responses! Definitely feeling calmer now just waiting on the results so fingers crossed for good news