Smelly bleeding post colposcopy/biopsies

Hi there,

I hope this is okay to ask here, I’m really anxious and panicking. I had a colposcopy yesterday and they took a few biopsies, after which I didn’t really notice any bleeding, just felt a bit sore. In the evening maybe I noticed some light brown slight discolouring but I know that can be normal. Today however I woke up and am having a heavier bleeding, (maybe like a light period but enough to wear a pad), some light cramping and it smells a bit funky. I’ve been panicking so I called the colposcopy unit who said I should just give it a little bit longer and see if things settle because bleeding can be normal. The smell worries me though but she said it could be the solution, however it smells quite strong so I’m not sure whether it is or if this is a sign of infection. I can’t really describe the smell, it’s just funky and strong?

Btw I recently finished my period (Saturday 28th - 30th) and I had some very very slight spotting before the procedure in the morning (residual from period sometimes) so it’s unlikely to be another period.

I don’t want to have to go to a walk-in or A&E when I’m not 100% sure especially when it’s really hard to be seen right now, and she said if I’m worried it should be safe to wait until tomorrow morning to speak to my GP if I can get an appointment. Is that okay or should I be running to the hospital? I get paranoid of it escalating into sepsis or something lol. She did mention if I have abdominal pain and fever then I can worry but I do have some slight cramping.

Anyone have any experience or advice after colposcopy/biopsies that they can share?

Hi @LuSmith

Slight cramping can be normal, its more when the pain becomes severe with painkillers not helping when cramping is worrisome… I think you should be okay to wait untill you can speak with your GP but consider going to the walk in if you cant get an appointment… is the smell like a vegetably smell or is it more pungent? Vegtably can be normal, but discharge that has a smell to it can indicate an infection xx

yeah the pain isn’t severe or anything, it’s just a little light cramping, but i think i also have been having unrelated bowel problems which didn’t help LOL. as for the smell it’s kind of weird to describe, it’s not fishy or anything, but it does smell a bit odd, maybe it’s just the iron in the blood or it’s to do with the stuff they used? it doesn’t smell vinegary either, it’s kind of just a bit strong and strange. nurse i spoke to on the phone said it’s unlikely to be infection this quickly though (i had it done yesterday afternoon so only just over 24 hours) so i guess it could just be normal??

i guess i’ll speak to GP tomorrow to make sure and monitor from there, if it doesn’t go after 5 days then i’ll then get it seen to again properly.

Hiya, I had a colposcopy with biopsies in December and another in January. After my December one I had really strong smelling discharge that smelled sour. Really strong. I healed totally fine. It wasn’t until my second one in January, after which I didn’t have a strong smell at all, that I thought anything of that first one. I think the smells are mainly caused by the solutions they use, but if it doesn’t ease up I’d get checked out. Best of luck xx

1 Like

thank you for your reply! i think it most likely is caused by the solutions (and maybe old blood collecting from the biopsies too). i went to the doctors to get checked over today and she said she didn’t think there was anything to worry about but took a swab anyway to send off. i think the bleeding has calmed a bit but still having the brown discharge stuff, and there’s still a funky smell, and a little cramping, but i’ll try not to worry unless there’s anything that worsens particularly.

thanks for all your reassurance though haha, this site has been a wonderful place to get advice/support in general! makes you feel less alone when going through the scary parts :hugs: