Smear due soon

Hi, I’m a serial worrier and since I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a few years ago it’s made my worrying worse! I had a smear two years ago where abnormal cells were found and so I went for a follow up appointment for a biopsy which led to 2-3 incidences of extreme pain first thing in the morning although this stopped around 6 months later although nothing abnormal found from the results. I had a further smear last year which was also fine. I have been on the pill since I was 16/17 and the combined pill for around 2 years. My partner and I had intercourse around 3-4 times over the last two-three weeks and after every occasion I have experienced very heavy bleeding. This only lasts for a few hours after the occasion and later turns to brown blood the next day. I am really nervous of the fact that any information I read relating to non-cancerous options state ‘light’ bleeding and this is definitely not. The GP has confirmed there is no infection and I have a colposcopy appointment pending although I wanted to know if anyone had any similar experiences?

I forgot to mention that I’m 26

Hi Lilly, hope your ok.
I think I was around the same age as you when I had similar symptoms, it’s great there sending you to the colposcopy clinic, when this happened to me I had CIN3 changes of abnormal cells, I had a loop treatment and they got rid of them all thankfully no other treatment was needed. Try and not to worry, I know it’s hard I still freak out waiting for smear results now, let us know how you get on xx

Hi Rache,

Thank you so much, your message means a lot! I didn’t realise that you could have symptoms with say CIN3 without it being cervical cancer or something else.

There was an 18week wait list at two hospitals near me for colposcopy but I spoke to someone today who has booked me in in a couple of weeks thank goodness… it’s hard because everything I read non cervical cancer related refers to ‘spotting’ or ‘light bleeding’ and this is definitely not light which makes me worry even more. Xx

No problem my love. That’s a long time to wait when your so worried, I’m glad theyve found an earlier appointment for you. I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. I’m know it’s so hard not to though. Keep me updated xx

Hiya! Colposcopy tomorrow… I’ve actually stopped bleeding after intercourse although this is after one occasion. If it was anything serious, would I stop bleeding? X

I think the important thing is that it’s being investigated - whatever it is. If you are having heavy bleeding it would suggest to me that something internally is inflamed - there are other reasons than cancer for this (endometriosis or fibroids, for a start) and it is unusual to have heavy bleeding as a symptom of cervical cancer - and very unusual with pre-cancerous cell changes, It will depend somewhat on the area that is affected, and cell changes can make tissue ‘friable’ - liable to bleed if irritated. You have your colposcopy tomorrow and hopefully you won’t have too long to wait for some answers. I hope all goes well. Remember not everything is related - what is important is that you get some clear answers and treatment if it’s needed. X

Hi - thank you so much for your reply! It’s really positive to be able to talk about such concerns and to hear opinions. Thank you x

I’ve just had my colposcopy with biopsy’s again and it’s enough to make me not want to go again, although I know it’s important…

The Dr said that there is definitely pre cancerous cells but it’s not cancer… he said I have an ectropian which I knew but he said that’s the reason I bled ‘heavily’ after sex even though this happened over three weeks on a few occasions and has now stopped.

Is it really likely the ectropian caused heavy bleeding after both penetration and not penetration? I understand pre cancerous cells also don’t cause symptoms…

I asked if there could be any other cause for the bleeding ie womb etc and I was just told again that I don’t have cancer (which Is good but doesn’t solve my issue).

Should I go back to the GP regarding the bleeding or not as it’s now stopped? I don’t know whether to push for further investigation if they believe it’s just down to the ectropian? Life! x

Hi lilly2

As you’re worried I think you should go back to your GP about your bleeding. I don’t know enough to say whether the ectropion fully accounts for your bleeding but further tests such as an ultrasound scan could help to rule out other reasons e.g. fibroids and your GP will be able to refer you for that if they feel it’s relevant.

x

Thank you! Xx

Just an update, three weeks ago today I had my colposcopy. Today I’ve received a text message asking me to go to a face to face appointment with the consultant. Feeling slightly grey about it all however the appointment isn’t until the 11th March so I’m presuming it will be a procedure to remove abnormal cells as if it was anything more I’d hope they would see me sooner! I haven’t called to check as I’m sure I’ll receive a letter to let me know what to expect…

Dear Lilly,

Glad you got an appointment but I would advise that you find out if you are going to get a letter and whether there are any results or indication what the appointment is for. If it’s with the consultant they’re unlikely to do any procedures there and then (the consultant doesn’t generally do these themselves) but it would talk about your results and a treatment plan. The time between your colposcopy and your appointment is not an indication of severity of issues, it’s how busy and or efficient the department is at your hospital. So if you I’d call to check, and try not to worry too much. 11th March is not a long way away and nothing is going to change by then - neither can you change the situation by worrying. Would that we could - we would all be cured!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Keep us updated.x

Hi Jacks,

Thank you for the reply. The dubious text is not sounding too optimistic but I’m trying not to be a wreck, least of all because I have too much going on around this. Who would usually carry out Lletz or cone treatment (if required) and do you know if it’s standard to go to an appointment before having this treatment?

Best,

Emily