Results - worried

Hi 

I'm new here , I suffer terribly with anxiety and I'm driving myself mad . 

last year I had hpv but no abnormal cells , I went back this year for my smear test . I asked the nurse what would happen if I still had hpv and she said that I may be called up to have a bit of a closer look but she did reassure me that the fact I had no abnormal cells and I never had was a good sign. 

I have been driving myself mad , convinced that something sinister will show and I also know that if I still have hpv or if there are now any abnormal cells I will be a nervous wreck ( my anxiety is always related to my health I am constantly worrying about some kind of health issue ) . 

so , it's been 4 weeks since my appointment I have called the doctors a few times to see if anything is back . I called today and the receptionist said that she can see the results came in last night but have not been " signed off" or looked at by the doctor and she can't see them so I can call Monday . So now I'm convinced she saw something bad . Is this standard that the results go to the doctors , or a sign that there is an issue ? Could it be that my results are in the post to me too ? I'm just really worrying and I know that I have the whole weekend to wait . She also said that if need be the doctor may call so she confirmed my number - again , I've never been called about them before so is that a bad sign or maybe does she remember me and that I keep calling so has taken my number in case the doctor can call to say they're ok ??

im just a nervous wreck right now xx. 

Hi Rb, 

Sorry to hear you're struggling. 

It is absolutely normal for the doctor to have to interpretate results before any information can be given by the receptionists as the receptionists are not medically trained and may misinterpret the information. 

A smear test does not test you for cancer so the worst that could happen is that it has come back as hpv positive with high grade severe abnormal cells also known as CIN III. This is still NOT cancer. 

The cells take between 10 and 20 years from a positive HPV diagnosis to develop into cervical cancer. 

You may even find you get your copy of the letter in the post tomorrow. They are written and sent at the same time. 

I have to state I'm no medical professional, but I've done a lot of reading on here. 

There's also Jo's helpline you can call if you need someone to talk to. 

Take care lovely ? ? ? let us know how you get on x

Thank you ! That's made me feel a bit better - my mind is just going into override ! So is it 10 years from when it's detected or 10 years from when you catch hpv ? As I don't know when I caught it but last years smear was the first time it was detected and I was tested 3 years prior so I'm assuming if I still have it right now then if it goes by when it first becomes 'active' or detectable then the maximum time for me is 4 years ( just assuming the worst case which is it became active just after my last negative result ) . 

Thank you for replying to me , I'm a mess right now which is ridiculous as I know the only thing that's happened it a hpv positive last year and people are going through so much worse xx 

Hi Rb, 

From what I can gather the research suggests 10-20 years from a positive HPV result. 

80% of the population have it and the majority have no issues as it lies dormant. Only some people have issues when it becomes active. The reason we have smears every three - five years is because it is so slow. 

Research states that doing this combined with the fairly new HPV vaccination given to 13 year olds, it will completely eradicate cervical cancer from society for all those who have regular smears. Xx

Dear Rb1926 I totally relate to your anxiety and appreciate what you are going through. I had exactly the same results last year in that my test was HPV positive with no abnormal cells. Like you this has been playing heavily on mind for the past year. I am due to go back for another smear test next week and absolutely dreading and fearing the results! I really hope that your results come back clearxx

Thank you for your reply ! It's really worrying isn't it ! Logically we don't have anything major to worry about right now but I don't think we think logically when it comes to this . 

well , my letter didn't come today so I'll spend the weekend panicking and hopefully get some answers . I'll post when I get the result , hopefully it's all ok and it can give you a bit of reassurance for yours too ! Good luck with your smear , let's just focus on the fact we've had no abnormal cells last year so the chances of anything worrying showing up are tiny ! 

xx

Thank you for your kind reply. I really hope that you get the all clear. You are right it's crazy us worrying at this point especially when other dear ladies are struggling with much more! However I do suffer from health anxiety and end up scaring myself by looking on the internet especially now I know my next smear is approaching! We have got to try and put it in perspective I guess and stop frighting ourselves with the what ifs!! All the best with your resultsx 

Well I called this morning and the receptionist didn't seem to know what I was talking about , she said she couldn't see anything but I don't know if that meant she couldn't tell me or what . She said to call tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment with the doctor so I can speak to them , but there was none today . She did ask a few times when I had had the smear . I explained my anxiety and she said she will try to find something out and call me . 

I don't know what to make of it . Logically I want to think she just couldn't see anything and suggested the appointment as she could tell I was anxious and didn't know what else to say . The anxious part of me thinks she knows something and knows I would need to speak to a doctor . I had a terrible weekend worrying and thought I would have answers today . I could cry , I hate this waiting xx 

Hi Rb I have been wondering how you were doing and if you have had your results today! How awful that they are messing you around when you are so anxious!! It makes me wonder if your results have come back or not. I really hope that you get to the bottom of it soonxx

Hi Rb I have been wondering how you were doing and if you have had your results today! How awful that they are messing you around when you are so anxious!! It makes me wonder if your results have come back or not. I really hope that you get to the bottom of it soonxx

I've just had my letter . I have hpv still and 'high grade ( moderate ) dyskaryosis' I don't even know what this all means . I have to go for a colposcopy xx 

I am so sorry to hear about your results. I had similar results 20 years ago!! It doesn't mean cancer but suspicious looking cells and if left untreated could turn cancerous! The procedure I had back then was called a cone loop biopsy. I am sure some of the other girls who have had the treatment more recently will be able to explain it better than me. It didn't hurt and it was no where near as uncomfortable as having a smear done by the nurse at my GP practice if I am honest! However I understand that the anxiety, worrying and waiting beforehand is definitely the worst. I fear that the HPV has reactived for me and if it doesn't clear I might end up in the same position. I guess all we can be is thankful that we are being checked and if needs be treated before it turns to anything nasty. 

Thank you for your kind words hope ❤️ I've spoken to 2 friends today who have both been through the same experience which has made me feel a bit better ( not that they experienced it but that they are fine now ! ) . I guess it's just all a waiting game . I hope everything goes ok for you and it's all normal xx 

Hi Rb, 

I hope you're doing okay. I'm pleased you have received your results and can move forward with your colposcopy. X