Recovery time/return to work

Hi, I’m new to Jo’s. I’m 8 weeks post treatment for stage 1b cervical cancer. (Chemoradiation and brachytherapy) I’m feeling better each week but my fatigue still feels all encompassing. I’ve found it very difficult to engage with cancer support services up until now, so i dont know anyone who has done this treatment. I know it can take a long time to recover but is there any indication for when I’ll feel able to return to work (and life?!) I have a physically demanding job with long hours (nurse) and I have two wee boys, both under 4. I know im struggling mentally and have begun to seek help with this. The thought of returning is awful right now, i feel like ive lost a lot of confidence and living in limbo awaiting results is difficult.

Hi Gemm and welcome

We’re all different in how treatments affect us, mentally and physically. 2 months post treatment is very early days so try not to put too much pressure on yourself. As far as possible, make the most of now to self nurture and give yourself the best chance of making a good recovery.

Have you had any blood tests to rule out physiological reasons for your fatigue? I was found to be vitamin B12 deficient after my treatment which was rectified with B12 shots. Inadequate levels of vitamin D can also lead to fatigue. Also worth getting thyroid checks etc - your GP will be able to advise.

My post treatment recovery was very slow, partly due to some bad luck with long term side effects plus I’m older (60s). I also struggled mentally and had some counselling. I found Macmillan very helpful with practical aspects of life after cancer such as employment rights, finances etc.

x

2 Likes