Fatigue

I’m 33 and was diagnosed with stage 1b2 in November 2017. From January 4th I underwent 25 radio, 4 chemo and 4 brachy and eventually got the all clear on June 5th.

I understand it‘s early days in the grand scheme of things, but one of the main side effects I’m suffering from is fatigue. I am back to working 37.5 hours weekly in quite an active role in a hospital, which I manage, but I don’t have much of a social life as I’m so tired.

Today, I went on a walk round the local town and it was about 2.5 miles but I needed an hours lie down after it. Does anyone else feel the tiredness, or has anyone got any advice on how to boost my energy? 

My GP has referred me to the gym, which starts on the 18th September, but I’m worried I’ll be far too tired after work to complete the programme.

Thanks in advance,

Stef :) x

Hi Stef :-)

I know that a lot of women find yoga helpful, I've not tried it myself but am considering it. It doesn't sound quite as exhausting as a workout at the gym and it sounds loads more sociable!

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Yoga sounds like a great idea. I had pretty much the same treatment as you and am back at work 20 hours a week. I feel the fatigue too eurgh! Took our daughter to Legoland the other day and it was a fantastic day but I do get the achey hips if I walk for a long time! Congratulations on your all clear, excellent news. Xx 

Of course you're fatigued! You have just fought an epic battle and it will take time to recover :)

I second the yoga, it has helped tremendously. I also take vitamin D which I find helpful. 

I am 2 years on and I still have to listen to my body carefully and rest when I need it. I work full time so make sure I do as much self care as possible each day. Sometimes that means resting more but sometimes it means getting out and doing something. Other days its putting my yoga clothes on and then doing nothing LOL

Be patient, it will get better. You are a warrior and warriors need rest too ❤

I was a very athletic person who exercised regulary when I was diagnosed.  I finished chemo + radiation in December 2017.  I went back to work literally one week after treatment wrapped up.  I was exhausted that first month.  But it got better every month.  However, I am just NOW able to run the treadmill at the same pace as before my treatment.  So, it has taken me about 9 months to get back to where I was pre-diagnosis.  I was a lot like you--shocked and worried at why I didn't have the energy or ability to do what i used to do.  It takes time.  But you will get back to normal--like you were before.

Hey hun, it took me a couple of months before I wasn’t needing a nap after every physical thing I did. Tbh, it took a year before I quite felt much better. Today is 2 years on for me and I feel like I’m finally back to normal energy levels. I didn’t tolerate treatments very well and they took a toll on me. But here I am :)