Extreme fatigue

Hi Ladies,
Hope you’re all doing ok! Just wondering how long your fatigue lasted after treatment. I know everyone is different in how their bodies respond but just hoping to get a general idea. I am 4 weeks post treatment and the fatigue seems to be getting worse not better. I am aware that I may feel more tired than normal for several months but hoping this debilating fatigue will ease up soon.
X Maria

When was the last time you've had your blood.levels checked?  

Hi. I'm pretty sure the radiotherapy is still working away and making you tired. As Izzy says, it might be worth getting your blood levels checked - maybe you need iron tablets. I had vitamin b injections (not sure how long after treatment though). 

I finished my treatment in the February and went back to work at the beginning of June so I must have got my energy levels back by then x

Also, maybe take a look at your diet. Are you eating enough 'good' food? I think at this time of year its very easy to fill up on rubbish which can make you feel sluggish xxx try to get fresh air too, that can be energy boosting x

Hi Izzy,

My last blood test was 5 weeks ago. I was very borderline throughout treatment so this could possibly be the problem. I didn't look at having my bloods done as I kept thinking it would start to improve but it's probably time I had them checked. 
x

Thanks for your reply Phileepa,

I think I'm just getting really impatient as I'm normally a  really active person but all I want to do is sleep. I know four weeks isn't a long time but it just feels like so long since I've felt normal. Interesting you should mention vitamin B as I've just been reading about it's benefits and just purchased a complex multi B vitamin so hopefully this will help. Also I think it's probably time to have my iron levels checked. Hope you're continuing to do well and thank you for always offering advice and support to so many of us on this site. 
x Maria 

Have you also checked your vitamin D levels? I was diagnosed with low vitamin D a few years ago and now take a supplement & feel much better. I realised after being disgnosed with low vitamin D that lots of people don't get enough fresh air and sunshine and are therefore low on vitamin D especially in winter. Hope this is useful

A

Hi Maria, yes get your iron levels checked. I feel perfectly fine, but I guess my level came back mild to moderate anemia because of my iron levels. So in January my doctor wants me to get 2 iron infusions to replenish my iron. I don’t feel fatigue at all so it was kind of surprising. I just get out of bed and off the couch like a old lady from stiff lower back and hips lol. Hope you start feeling better!

Hi

Following blood tests, I had vitamin B12 injections not long after treatment.  I also take vitamin D3 supplements because it helps the body to absorb calcium, thereby benefitting bone health .  Radiotherapy to the pelvis doesn't do the bones, in that area, any favours.  I still get tired but I think that's mostly a side effect of the lymphoedema that I've developed.  If it's not one thing, it's another - lol.

x

Thanks for your reply. I stopped taking all my supplements when I finished treatment as my body felt really toxic. In hindsight not my best idea. I've had problems with my vitamin D before despite being outdoors a lot and spending a lot of time outdoors on my allotment. My main symptoms when I was low before was fatigue and really low body temperature.  Have just started taking my supplements again so helpfully this will help. I'll make sure I've got some vitamin D in there. 

X Maria

Hi Rissag, 

Ok I think it's time to take myself of to the Doc's for a blood test. Would much prefer to see someone back at the cancer centre as they know what they are looking for and can arrange any treatment in a timely manner. Let's just say I really don't have a lot of faith in my doctors surgery. Reading the posts here I like the sound of Iron infusions and B12 injections. Sounds like just the boost I need at the moment. Hopefully the old lady symptoms will improve over time laughing  X Maria

Hi Jazza.

Thanks for your reply. Several people have mentioned B12 injections so it seems to be a common occurrence after what we've been through. Definitely need to get back on top of my vitamins again and have some bloods done. Just getting a bit worried as meant to be back at work in four weeks and desperately hoping I'll feel more alive by then. Sorry to hear about the lymphoedema. Unfortunately I don't think any of us are going to get off Scott free after what we've been through.

x Maria

Hi

Considering you've been through chemo-radio, I think it's very early days for you - only 4 weeks post treatment.  I think there can be a big difference in how individulas tolerate treatment and the number and severity of side effects (short and long term) we get.  The physical side effects are fairly obvious but there's the pyschological effects (to a greater or lesser degree) as well.  Are you getting a phased return to work?  Is it feasible for you to get a bit more time to recover, before going back to work.  You might want to consider contacting Macmillan (www.macmillan.org.uk) for advice about getting back to work, what your rights are and what support might be available etc.

x

Thanks Jazza,

I may have to rethink my plan and look at a phased return. I work in a school and it's only 10 minutes from my home so no long commute times and I finish at 3:30pm. I also have all the holidays off so I've been trying to convince myself that I'll manage it. I'll have to let work know my plans very soon so I'll see how I feel by the end of next week and make a decision then. In the meantime I'll keep eating supplements smile Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

x Maria

i also felt/feel really tired. at my first three month PET scan my thyroid lit up. Got my thyroid tested and it turns out I now have Hashimoto's and my endocronologist thinks it is due to the chemo.My thyroid was all fine before treatment so i was totally surprised that I was thrown full into Hashi's. I would suggest getting yours tested. I am also on a high dose of Vit D as well.

Thank you Cclay,

Even though it's early days (1 month post treatment) it does feel like something else is going on. I sleep quite well at night at the moment but once I get the kids off to school in the morning I can come back and sleep another 3 hours and still wake up tired. Will ring tomorrow to arrange to have bloods done. Everything I have read online says the standard cisplatin dose for cervical cancer is 40mg but I received the maximum dose of 70mg. I was never told what dose I was been given. I just happened to take a photo of the yellow bag to send it to my sisters celebrating the fact it was my last chemo and I saw the amount on it.  Do you know how high a dose you received? I can only think that a dose of 70mg is going to kill off more cells than 40mg. I just had to look up hashimoto. Sorry to hear you developed this, I was hoping to read that it was reversible frown

x Maria

Hey Maria,

i had 70mg cisplatin too, I saw it on my first session as no one had said anything prior, i never had any problems with it during treatment, no sickness etc so I stayed on a high dose. The radiotherapy caused my red blood count to drop so I had a couple of transfusions but about a month after treatment my eye lashes started falling out and my hair got really thin, I did read that the effects of chemo can last long after treatment. 

I hope you find something that helps. 

Much love to you xxx 

Thank you Emma, 

Everything I read said the standard dose was 40 but maybe they give you what they think your body will tolerate. I did also tolerate the chemo quite well. Had bloods done yesterday and see the oncologist on Monday so hopefully they can give me a magic pill to increase my energy levels. Hope the hair thining problem has stopped now. Our poor bodies really have been through it a bit.

x Maria

We have definitely been through a lot it’s bound to take its toll, good luck for Monday I hope they can sort out that magic pill for you soon, *fingers crossed* it’s a pity I can’t bottle the endless energy my kiddos have I get exhausted watching them. 

My hair is slowly getting better thank you  :) luckily it’s christmas jumpers and hats for work so I’m hiding it under my elf hat for the time being lol :) 

much love,

emma xx 

Hey Maria, did u get your blood work done? And are you feeling better?