Recent diagnosed with Severe Dyskaryosis (24 years old and scared)

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the Forum and Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust.

I am due to turn 25 on the 16th March and i had my first smear on the 15th February, on Friday (9th March) confirming what feels like my worst nightmare, I have high grade (severe) dyskaryosis and I am waiting for my Colposcopy. To say I am terrified is an understatement, I have spent the weekend crying on and off and reading the forums on this page.

I have anxiety and to make matters worse, it is health anxiety. I have severe things wrong with me (GERD, IBS, Ashtma and the list goes on) I wanted to write on this forum may be for some ease...

1. 24/25 year olds have been diagnosed with severe dyskaryosis and what their experience has been?
  2. I would apperciate if anyone has any time scales on how long it takes to recieve your colposcopy date through as I am due to have my period soon and I feel like I will be waiting forever for my test
  3. Did anyone during their smear bleed? I did and I didn't ask about the blood (now I am panicking it is a sign of Cancer) I also was late on my period by a week due to the smear.. anyone else have this?
  4. If I do have to have the procedure to remove the cells, has this effected anyones' pregnancies (this is what I have read) I am due to start trying for a baby next Summer and I feel like this will effect it.

I am terrified I will be going to my colposcopy and told I have cancer, although I have no symptoms but my anxiety is getting the better of me. The waiting game is intense.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Hi. I’m 24 and have recently had my first smear. Mine came back severe hugh grade dyskaryosis and I had a colposcopy and lletz procedure done 2 weeks ago today. I haven’t received any results yet but the lady who did my lletz said it was likely my results will come back CIN3 but she thinks she got it all. I don’t really have any advice other than don’t worry too much about the colposcopy or lletz if you need it, I worked myself up for it to be way worse than it was. The bleeding and discharge I’ve had since have been more of a nuisance, and the waiting is the worst. 

Thank you for your reassurance I appreciate it. It's finally been booked and I'm due to have it done next Wednesday 

A x

Good morning!

I am in the same boat as you hun. I am 24 and had my first smear recently which came back with high grade severe dyskaryiosis. I went for my colposcopy on 8th March and had the lletz procedure done. I know everybody is different but the procedure itself for me wasn't too bad, just abit uncomfortable. I did bleed during my smear but haven't had any bleeding since, just a light discharge from the lletz so I think I am one of the lucky ones. If I have any advice it would be to take somebody with you for a bit of support as I went on my own and naively didn't ask alot of questions.

I'm not sure how it works in different places, alot of people seemed to have get results via post but they have booked me in for a phone appointment on the 26th with results and I am in the north west.

Don't worry about it too much, you are in the best possible care and this is a cervical cancer prevention, not because you have cancer. I hope all goes well with your appointment, keep us updated.

Beth x

Thank you Beth. I had my colposcopy on Tuesday (this week) and I have had to have biopsies and I'm starting to freak out about my results. 

Amber X 

Ive had a similar experience! I have just turned 25 and had my first smear back in a January, I did expect anything else and thought that was that, over and done with.

I got a letter back two weeks later saying that boarderline changes had been found and I was invited to the colposcopy clinic. I managed to get an earlier appointment as the appointment they offered was four weeks away. I had the appointment and had two biopsies taken, then nurse said everything looked fine and it was more than likely CIN1 or just the HPV virus. I left feeling relieved.

3 weeks later my results letter comes back, the cells are CIN2 and a MDT meeting was to be held to discuss the results, I panicked thinking why do they have to have a meeting? Dont they know what it is? Again this was another two week wait, I finally had my letter back and have been given an appointment for the 26th (tomorrow) to discuss further treatment. I‘m not exactly sure what to expect as the letter is so vague, I just want to get the cells gone and start being able not to worry now. Us girls don’t have it easy! 

X

I currently am waiting on my biopsie results. In my colposcopy they told me it was severe but they took samples to test. I have my results and test on 13th April. I'm hoping results are back by then as I'm only guessing. 

I have anxiety which is so draining now due to the constant worry. I just want to know I'm okay and have the treatment. 

My biggest fear is cancer and I don't know how to cope with waiting on results.

A x 

so ladies....

just had lletz done, it was absolutely fine! I was feeling unwell all night but managed to pull myself together and get it done. I would say having a biopsie was more painful and scary than lletz! The only thing I felt was the anistethic being injected but that wasnt painful it was more of a pressure! 

Seriously don’t worry about it, I’ve been worrying for weeks and feel so relieved that I’ve done it! It wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I imagined! 

Xx