Really scares

Really scared

Just received an email off patients know best to advice I've got an appointment at the gynaecologist. Rang the hospital and all they could tell me was I have an appoint for 28th April.

Had my smear test at the beginning of March haven't had the results back yet but obviously they are bad that's why I'm been sent for a colposcopy.

Anyone else had a similar experience. The fact that the appointment is less than 2 weeks away is making me think it's something really bad. 

In my experience if there are abnormal results your doctor will call you in to discuss them, rather than putting it on your patient portal and leaving you to wonder what they mean. I don't think the timeline of your appointment indicates anything other than the soonest available appointment, so try to relax. Colposcopys could be for any grade of squamous lesions and you have no reason to panic over the prospect of having the procedure. 

Thank you for your reply. 

really trying to stay sane (proving hard) I suffer with health anxiety so anything like this really starts me off. In fact an abnormal smear 6 years ago is what started my health anxiety.

2014 - first smear cin 1 hpv, colposcopy, no treatment needed to return in a year.

2015 - smear due became pregnant so didn't have

Feb 2016 - normal (no mention of hpv not sure it was tested)

Feb 2017 - normal - moved back to 3 yearly smears.

Had my smear beginning of March still waiting for results but know they are abnormal as been called for a colposcopy. 

Had bloods done in February for something else and all came back normal not sure if this makes a difference.

Just had my results and it says high grade (moderate) dyskaryosis. 

is this bad, really worrying right now

Hi Lou I am new here but thought I would reply to say that my recent smear showed high grade dyskaryosis and I went in to have a coloscopy for this reason. Usually they can treat you there and then and remove the abnormal cells (lletz) though in my case they were too high up on my cervix for them to perform it with a local so I went back in a week afterwards to have the procedure done under a general.

I know it's hard not to worry but these are just pre cancerous cells and usually the procedure is all that's needed to remove them. The likelyhood of it being cancer is so small. They will take a biopsy and send it for testing just to confirm what the smear picked up and to check there is nothing more sinister present. 

I also wouldn't worry about the time scale. I was seen within 3 weeks from my phone call to say I had to go for a coloscopy (first week coloscopy second week pre op and third week General). To be honest I was glad they was seeing me so quickly as I wanted it over and done with.

I now have to wait 6 weeks for the results from the biopsy they took during the procedure. 

I really hope the time passes quickly for you from now til your appointment and it all goes well. 

I'm really trying not to panic but it's all I've thought about since my result. Really struggling right now. I can't eat or sleep. I have the Mirena so my periods are a little all over the place, I've now convinced myself that this could be why. 

I was the same could barely sleep and lost my appetite so many thoughts were running through my mind it's all I could think about. I've been able to relax a little since the procedure but I'm still anxious about the results.

It's so hard isn't to try and stay positive. 

Hi Lou,

The waiting game is so so hard as your mind runs away with you but in my experience I have found all the medical staff to be very open and honest throughout my diagnosis and treatment.

In my own experience as soon as they suspected I had cancer they said it was a possibility from the outset and explained that was why they were sending me for a colposcopy, at the colposcopy they also said after just looking it was a possibility although they needed a biopsy to confirm so by the time I was officially diagnosed I was already mentally prepared for my diagnosis and it didn't come as a shock.

I hope this offers some reassurance to you.

Thank you Jeebers hope you are doing well. 

I really wish I wasn't such an over thinker. I suffer quite badly with health anxiety so this has just sent it through the roof. 

I've had on and off lower back pain for some time now, recurring thrush and my bleeding pattern is all over (I have the Mirena) get quite bad lower stomach pains (not all the time) so I've put this down to it all been related to my smear and been something really bad. 

Hi.

I had an abnormal Pap smear a few years ago. I didn't have to go back in for anything, I just had to get another pap the following year which came up clean. It's not quite the same situation but our bodies are pretty amazing at clearing stuff up.

Hi Lou there are some really useful tips on Jo's blog for managing anxiety. Also the helpline is very good. Have you also tried phoning the colposcopy clinic so that they can tell you what to expect and to tell them how anxious you are? It may help to put your mind at ease. Waiting for tests and results is really hard but when you have more facts it will get easier. Have you also asked your gp for support?

Take care

A

Hi 55

ive spoke to my GP but they wasn't really helpful at all. Infact I felt like more of a nuisance for bothering them. She mainly said you'll just have to wait for your appointment. I've had a colposcopy before as I had cin1 in 2015 WASNT treated and next smear was normal. I found the whole thing really painful. I'm more anxious about the results been bad.

Hi Lou if they give you the lletz treatment at your appointment they will give you local anaesthetic & then you will find it isn't so painful. The procedure will remove your abnormal cells so that they will be able to look at them more closely in the lab. The procedure usually is 95% successful in removing abnormal cells and you may find it is all you will need apart from a check up in 6 months. Not knowing is difficult but you are in the system & being looked after so try to take some comfort from that. Try to keep busy to take your mind off it a bit.

Lockdown doesn't really help but we can't change that.

Take care

A

1. Hi all just wanted to give an update as so many of these threads don't provide the update.

Had my colposcopy earlier today. I was so anxious as soon as the nurse called my name I just burst in tears. She said it was quite normal and they see it a lot. It was 2 nurses and a lady colposcopist. They really put my mind at ease and gave me gas and air which made it far more bareable.( If they offer gas and air personally I would take it because it really seems to calm the anxiety) It was more uncomfortable then painful. They did my procedure there and then and took a biopsy. I asked if it was cancer and she said she's 99% sure it isn't. She believes it's CIN 2 but biopsy will confirm this. Currently laid in bed feeling a little sorry for myself. Feeling a little shaky but I think that's more anxiety then anything else. A little discomfort since. Feeling better today but still slightly nervous for the results. She also removed my Mirena at the same time I've been wanting it out for a while (no end of problems) the doctor believed this was the reason for my recurrent thrush from the appearance of it.