high grade dyskaryosis

Hi I have a appointment on the 1st December for the colposcopy . I am really scared . Not about the treatment but about the news . My letter said I have high grade dyskaryosis. I have been to seen the nurse at my GPS as i have been freaking out about it and she said it’s all just precautionary. It’s not cancer that’s what she said. But I don’t believe her I think she just trying make me feel better . how does she know they don’t know yet not for sure. I’m really terrified and the waiting is horific. I had my first smear in 2011 and was clear for it to be high grade already scares me as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Never mind then

Sorry no one's replied. I try not to reply too much on the colposcopy board because I'm afarid my story scares people!

The waiting is absolutely the worst. I think everyone here can relate to that.

Smear results aren't the most accurate. So you could find at colposcopy that it is not high grade. 

What the nurse said is correct, in a way. It isn't cancer. But I can understand that you don't feel reassured by that. The colposcopy will give everyone a better idea of what you have and a way forward. 

If you read through this forum the VAST majority of girls who had had a CIN 3 result did not have cancer.

Hope you get your results through quickly and don't forget to come back and answer someone elses questions when you get through it all. The fact that there aren't a lot of people around to answer queries shows that for lots and lots of ladies life goes on and they move on after their results.

Hi Charlene,

The nurse you spoke to at your GPs is absolutely right. Although your result shows you have abnormal cell changes. This doesn't mean you have cancer or will get cancer. It just means that some of your cells are abnormal, and if they're not treated they may develop into cervical cancer.

At your colposcopy a small biopsy may be taken to determine the level of abnormality and depending on that what treatment (if any) is required. If you do require treatment this may be offered to you at the time of your colposcopy or you may be asked to return at a later date. My advice if offered to have treatment there and then is to go for it and get it over with at the one appointment.

If you do have treatment it will remove the abnormal cells allowing healthy cells to grown back in their place. You would then be asked to come back for a follow up smear in 6 months time to check that you're cervix had healed and the treatment has worked.

Please don't be scared; this really is more common that you think. I had treatment for CIN III (high grade dyskaryosis) back in June and the abnormality was completely removed. You've kept up with your smears, you're in the system now and will be treated and well looked after.

Good luck with your appointment and let us know how you get on.

Love Peanut xx

Hi Charlene,

I'm sorry you are terrified, the waiting is really scary.  I know I am imagining all sorts :(

Let us know how you get on next Tuesday x

Thanks girls. Sorry I been a right grumpy cow this week.i totally freaking out. I know it don't mean I have cancer but they is a possibility  but still im really scared . I am so unlucky as well. Just want to get it over and done with. I have a 14 year old son and I find myself thinking stuff like what would he do if this is it. I really really hope im being over dramatic but then they that little voice that's creeps in saying what if. I starting to think was my last smear Clear cause I can't remember getting the results and my doctors has the wrong address for me for a time . Minds all over the shop. My boyfriend is being so supportive but all the reassurance  don't help. Urgg  acting normal at work as well is driving me mad I so stressy lol. Thanks girls 

Also if I do have the treatment  they and then which i hope i do . do u think I will have to have a day of work the next day. I don't want to tell them what's going on . I have the day of when I going for appointment anyway as I was originally planning to go xmas shopping . I don't want to explain to work  if I can help it . Thanks 

Plus sorry about going on but on my letter it said high grade but  when I went to my GPS The nurse looked on my notes I saw it said moderate in brackets on my notes . Why don't it say this on my letter or been told or is inrelevant ? I have a million question yet the  nurse rang me today about appointment asked if I  was OK i just said yeah .I got a total blank . Thanks 

Why don't you ring the nurse back and write down a few questions to ask her beforehand?  It might help you to talk through your concerns with her before you go for your appointment next week.  xx

It's a horrible letter to get isn't it? Is only natural to worry about it - but like others have said the smear test is not always accurate. They will have a much better idea of what is going on at colposcopy. The waiting is a pain but is very unlikely to be cc.  Let us know how you get on xxx

Hi a update . I been for the coloposlopy this morning. In and out in 30 minutes. Doctor said cin2 which is what my smear said. He did the treatment they and then. Wasn't to bad feel a little off now but a sofa day will cure that.  Now just wait for results although the doctor said it's not cancer I just want results then im 100 percent. Back for smear in 6 month hopefully :)