radical hysterectomy followed by radiotherapy . help needed

hi all I hope you can help I've been reading posts for months but never actually joined I've got to a point now where I need advice help and information from ladies who have been through the same or similar please.sorry it's so long i have been holding in so long

In July I was diagnosed with one B1 cervical cancer the rare non keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma tumour that was removed was 28 mm by 11 mm and invasion alarent but further tissue couldn't be reached. I  was then sent for MRI and ct and waited for another appointment with gyne o oncologist.  I met my new consultant on the 12th of September who advised that there was a further approximate 3 cm tumour in my cervix still remaining but didn't appear to have spread to any nearby organs but my lymph nodes appeared to be enlarged but didn't appear to be cancerous but they wanted to do a radical hysterectomy bilateral pelvic lymph node removal bilateral ovaries removed and was booked for the 18th of September. After surgery the doctor told me that he has removed everything that he wanted to including quite a large amount of tissue from either side that he went as close to my bowel and bladder as he possibly could but I needed to be catheterised for a week in order to heal the catheter was removed a week later and I've been healing well I saw the doctor again on Wednesday the 10th of October about my results from my operation I was advised that the lymph nodes and come back clear and no sign of cancer which was fantastic news and then on the other hand said that front to back where the tumour was when the measurements were done it was only millimetres away from both bowel and bladder so therefore wanted to do a mop up course of radiotherapy this is where I'm at now waiting to meet the new one oncologist for  planning radiotherapy on the 19th of October radiotherapy I had more fear than chemotherapy to me I've been through radiotherapy with my mum and seen other people do it as well I'm terrified of the side effects after radiotherapy as far as my sex life goes with my wife it's a very big part of my relationship and after 11 years I don't want to lose it only 37 because of damage scar tissue or shrinkage due to radiotherapy can anybody please tell me that's had pelvic radiotherapy internally or externally exactly what sort of side effects you had short term and long term and if it did affect or change the connection between you as a couple I'm really considering not having it done because I feel like have nothing left and what tiny but I do they want to destroy with radiotherapy I hope some of you ladies can give me some advice x xx

Hi netty, i seem to have a similar story to yours I had a radical hysterectomy in may I had external radiotherapy in July and I’m 34 so we have quite a bit in common , i receieved 25 externail treatments and it was a lot easier that I taught it was going to be on the second wk I have some diarrhea but that stopped within a couple of days and I didn have any more the main symptom I had was feeling tired so plenty of rest should take care of that , I am only recently back having intercourse the first two times was a little painful but I’ve since discovered it was mainly from the lube I was using I’ve since tried different lubes and it’s made things so much easier , I do have some scar tissue and my vagina is shorter but it’s not the end of the world like I originally taught it may of been things are slowly improving, so try not to be to worried because things will work out ok , everything sounds more scarier than it actually is,I wish you all the best , melissa x x

1 Like

hi meme thank u for replying.  I see oncologists this fri to find out what they want to do exactly but not sure how i will be as menopause only started last week and my depression it harder to control but hope i will be more In control by friday xxxx

hi meme thank u for replying.  I see oncologists this fri to find out what they want to do exactly but not sure how i will be as menopause only started last week and my depression it harder to control but hope i will be more In control by friday xxxx

I think once you have a plan of action you will fell a lot better , from The day your told you have cancer until the day you finish your treatment can be such a rollacoaster and can make you so anxious and depressed but honestly it does get easier , I hope your feeling better soon and you feel better after you speak with your oncologists, Melissa x x

Hi Netty :-)

Do not even consider not having the treatment. Just don't. Have the treatment, and if there are consequences later you will be fit and strong enough to face them. That is all I can say.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi, 

Mine was Adenocarcinoma stage 2a1 and 3.2cm. I had a radical hysterectomy 2 months ago on August 9th, 2 weeks after diagnosis. Lymph nodes were negative, margins clear, no parametrial involvement, but LVSI was present. My oncologist said no further treatment is required. I'm in Dallas, Texas.

I'm glad I didn't have to do radiation as I'm petrified of the long term side effects. However, I see a lot of cases like mine with negative lymph nodes but for them,  chemo/radiation was done after the radical hysterectomy and wonder why and whether I'm being under-treated or they're being over-treated.

All the best with your treatment.