further treatment , advice please !!

Hi , i am new to this and would really appreciate some advice.  I was diagnosed with stage 1b1 cervical cancer in november 2013.  I had a radical hysterectomy on 10th december 2013.  The cancer was remeved , lymph nodes were all clear .  I am currently cancer free however my gynacology oncologist consultant could not decide on if further treatment was needed and so referred me to an oncologist.  I had my appointment with the oncologist yesterday 14/01/14.  he offered me chemotherapy and radiotherapy however has left it up to me to decide wether to have the treatment or not.  He said taking in to account my age (i am 40) i should weigh up the pros and cons of having the treatment and i felt he stressed i should think about the side effects of the treatment in particuallr lasting side effects.  my overies were left and so radiotherapy would destroy them, he discused bowel and bladder problems and that even after treatment it could still return.  I really dont know which way to turn , i dont know wther to have the treatment or not.  he said everything is positive at the moment and if i chose not to have the treatment i would be followed up .  Does anybody have any experience of having to decide on this  treatment ? any advice would be really appreciated.  Thank you.

Hi, I had the same staging as you but was not offered further treatment. I had my hysterectomy in oct, lymph nodes all clear. I’d question your consultant and ask for more info as to why he thinks you possibly need further treatment, has he told you any risks? How often will you be having follow up appointments? I have to go every 3 months for 2 years then every 6 months for 3years. From what I have seen on here, ladies who have opted for further treatment are the ones where there’s lymph node involvement.
Sorry I can’t be of more help but that’s what I’d be asking alongside looking at what happens during treatment xx

Hey I had to choose at first however my oncologist decided that I would need radiotherapy as l am at a high risk of recourrance due to the fact that the tumor was high grade and lvsi wad present. I would agree with Pegasus to ask why hes offered further treatment..lea xx

Thank you for your replies, i have been to see the oncologist today who over the past 2 weeks has rang other specialists and decided that i do not need further treatment at this stage.  I have a follow up appointment in march. so relieved .  Thank you so much for your replies.