Hysterectomy AFTER chemo/radiation

Hi All,

I haven't posted on here for a while, I had chemo/radiation for IIB Cervical Cancer at the beginning of this year and have been waiting on results ever since. In my scans 3 months post treatment, there was still a bit of tissue left that they weren't sure about so we waited another 3 months for the radiation to continue working. Unfortunately, at my 6 month scan they can still see some residual disease so after much debate they now want to perform a 'simple hysterectomy'. There is no guarantee that the residual tissue is cancerous but they don't think a biopsy would suffice so have decided (after an awful lot of backwards and forwards) that this is the way to go.

I just wondered if anyone else had had a hysterectomy (either simple or radical) post radiotherapy? They have told me that it's very high risk on my bladder due to the radiotherapy and while I'm not sure I could cope with any horrow stories (which I really hope no one has had), it would be amazing to hear from anyone who's had this done and how they got on. 

Thanks so much

L x

Hi Lorna

I was diagnosed with stage 3b cervical cancer in April 2016 (also had lymphnode involvement) & had the ususal treatment 5 x Cisplatin, 28 x Radiotherapy, 3 x Internal Radiotherapy. My 3 month scan showed a small area of concern & following a biopsy it was confirmed that cancer was still present. At this stage I opted for a radical hysterectomy and lymphadenectomy. My Consultant was very clear on what could happen to my bowel, bladder etc & explained that the treatment does leave everything sticky which can complicate the procedure. That said he didn't discourage me so I went ahead. I had the op on 1 November 2016 - it did take about 5 hours which I think is quoite long that said he did remove a lot! Was it painful YES, was it uncomfortable YES, was it worth it ABSOLUTELY. My pathology came back clear - hearing that news made it all worth while. Today I am nearly back to my old self. My scar has healed my bowels & bladder are ok (different but ok) and no other side affects from the op. My latest scan confirmed I am still cancer free but did show a small fracture in my pelvis & fluid in my bowel. I do suffer pain in my pelvis area but I think that is from the treatment coupled with the menopause. You have already been through so much so please don't worry about having the operation it will give you the peace of mind all us ladies crave whilst in the midst of the treatment. Good luck with whatever decison you make 

Marie x

Marie, thank you so so so much! You have no idea how helpful you have just been. We know that the decision to have the surgery is the right one (the other option of just leaving it isn't even really an option for us) but hearing that you have had success has just made me feel so much more at ease with it all. Thank you also for being so honest, having had a surgery to move my ovaries at the beginning of all this I think i can imagine a bit of the pain but knowing that it was all worth it for you has really lifted my spirits. Thank you so much for sharing your story and I am so bloody pleased that you can now say you are Cancer free! I hope your good health continue and that your hips heal. After my radiation (and menopause) my hips were incredibly sore, I found swimming to be really beneficial for that, appreciate you might not be able to with a fracture but once that is sorted I fully recommend it. Take care, and thank you! x

Bardley77 - I was diagnosed stage 3b last December 2016, now have been treated with EBRT, Cisplatin, IBRT (brachytherapy), additional course of carboplatin and paclitaxol. I'm scheduled to go in for a simple hysterectomy November 10th. But, if it's possible... I would really like to get a radical hysterectomy. Can you share what center your consultant belongs to and/or their name if you are comfortable sharing? Thank you! I am so, so happy to hear that the surgery was a success overall for you. 

Lorna, I found this forum looking for the answer to your question. Thank you for starting the conversation. 

Youre both in my thoughta, stay positive and strong.