Progression to high grade (moderate) dyskaryosis in less than a year

I had a smear in Feb 2021 which came back HPV pos but no abnormal cell changes. I had some bleeding last year and was referred for a colposcopy in aug last year (no biopsies were taken) and they thought it looked perfectly fine with nothing to worry about. Yet the results of my smear Feb 2022 have just come back high grade moderate cell changes (which I think is level two). It seems strange to go from nothing to that in a year. I thought cell changes were slow moving - has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

Hi I had a recent colposcopy CIN1 “at most” I was told, yet no biopsies were taken !! x

1 Like

Hi, I’ve had similar also. I had a follow up smear test in Dec 2020 which showed HPV and normal cells. But by Dec 2021 I still had HPV and I’ve just found out colposcopy results which has shown I’ve got CIN 3 abnormal cells. I am also confused how this has happened within a year?

2 Likes

I’ve just had this I was expecting CIN 2 but it came back CIN 3 and all smears (Once a year last 3 years said no abnormal cells)

When I had the colposcopy she did say she saw a “tiny bit in the corner” so I guess that’s why it could be missed on regular smear tests. I don’t think it’s a case of nothing to that in a year but more likely smears aren’t 100% accurate?

1 Like

I wonder if as its CIN 1, they are happy to monitor it. I hope it resolves itself on its own quickly for you. X

It may be a reflection of the smear testing not being completely accurate, rather than it being particularly aggressive (this is my hope anyway). I am just frustrated as I have been having bleeding so wish I had pushed for a biopsy last year. X

Yes, I have come to the same conclusion. I am awaiting a colposcopy so mine could indeed be a higher grade. Thank you for your thoughts x

Yes I am wondering this also. I will ask this question when I get to speak with someone. My smear results came back as borderline but biopsy at colposcopy came back at CIN 3. Surely there’s got to be a problem with smears then?

1 Like

It seems strange doesn’t it? Perhaps the abnormal cells can be in a difficult place to spot to begin with until they spread. It’s just such a shock to think there’s nothing then seem to accelerate. I really hope all goes OK for you. X

I had the exact same as you. I was diagnosed with CIN1 in 2008 at age 20 which I assumed had gone away as I had about 10 further smears over that time with no abnormal cells. I didn’t realise they only started checking for HPV first in last couple of years so no idea if it was dormant or active over that whole time!

Had smear in Oct 2020 and it came back HPV but no abnormal cells then by Oct 2021 it was CIN3. I had a colposcopy/LLETZ on the same day. They found that the affected area was only in one corner and about the size of a cotton bud tip so I guess they might have missed it. Frustrating though! Hope all goes well with your appointment. x

1 Like

Thank you so much and I hope all goes well for you x

I think you might be right.

And you! X

Hi @KatieT you are not alone, I had the same.
I’ve been having yearly smears since 2018 (when they introduced HPV testing) as I’m HPV positive.
Jan 2020, 2021 smears were HPV+ but no cell changes, then Jan 2022 they found severe cell changes/CIN3. Colposcopy and biopsy confirmed this and I’ve just had treatment.

I was alarmed about how this happened in just 12 months too, but from what I’ve gathered through this forum I think smears are not always totally accurate. Plus, apparently my cervix tilts down which can apparently make it hard for the nurse to access, so perhaps they didn’t get an even sweep of the cervix before.

1 Like

Yes, I am beginning to think this must be the case. My cervix tilts too and for the first time ever in a smear I actually said to the nurse last time that I wasn’t phased and to have a good scrape about to make sure she got what she needed. I will tell them all that from now on as I am not sure where it leaves me if I start to lose trust in smear results. I’ll never sleep again! X

@KatieT that’s interesting you have a tilted cervix too! I wonder how common our experience is for people with the tilt…
That’s a good approach. I wish I wasn’t phased by the smear as I hate it, but like you say, it’s definitely better for them to get a good sample at the expense of a bit of discomfort.

Hi
I have a tilted cervix and did not known until I went for my colposcopy. In all my smears it’s always been fine.
Jem x

2 Likes