Pregnant but awaiting LETZ treatment for CIN1/2

Hi Jo’s Community,
My husband and I decided to start trying for a baby this year. I had been awaiting results from a routine smear test but my results were taking a long time to come through from the hospital and once they were available I was booked in for LLETZ treatment as the result showed CIN 1/ CIN 2 cells and I also have HPV.

However, I decided I wanted to continue trying for a baby as I was concerned about issues that may happen after the treatment which could make conceiving difficult and increase risk of premature birth. My husband and I researched and discussed the pros and cons at length and both felt comfortable with the decision.

Recently, after missing a period and receiving a BFP I’ve found out I’m pregnant. I feel a contrast of emotions around this - obviously very happy as we’d been trying for a while and having issues trying to conceive (this is also the first time I’ve been pregnant!) but I’m also anxious about my cervical cells changing and the risk of cancer. I wondered if there is anyone who has been through a similar situation and has any advice for helping with the anxiety whilst being pregnant? I’ve Googled this scenario loads and from the research and data it feels unlikely the cells would worsen during the pregnancy and I can have the treatment asap after the birth but would be nice to hear some real stories around this to understand how best to deal with my worries. Thank you.

Hi
I had cin2 and conceived before having treatment. The nurse knew I was trying to conceive and was not at all concerned about delaying treatment. I was just regularly monitored throught pregancy to check it had not developed, this was a visual inspection at colposcopy.
When I returned after the birth of baby, the cell changes had completely regressed on their own. (unfortunately did return some years after)
Cervical changes usually take many years before, and even if they turn to cancer. The vast majority of cin1 and 2 will not turn to cancer and a large percentage will clear on their own without treatment. With regular check ups this risk is very very small, so I would relax and enjoy your pregancy. I really wouldn’t worry and let it detract from enjoying this special time.

1 Like

Thank you Missymoo, it’s reassuring to hear that cells can change for the positive during the pregnancy period. I have definitely become healthier since the positive test including now taking multi-vitamins and completely stopping smoking (it was only very occasional and social smoking previously but still obviously not good for my health and for the cervical cells). There is always the chance that the pregnancy itself may change the cells back to normal also, so I will hold out hope :slight_smile: If not I will certainly have LLETZ as soon as possible post birth. Thanks again for sharing your story and I wish you well with your future too :slight_smile: