CIN2 and treatment required

Hello! 

I'm 26 years old, and on my very first smear in august 2019 it came back as HPV postive and abnormalities. I was then referred to colposcopy  department where they took a closer look and two biopsies which then came back and confirmed CIN2. They gave me the chance to take treatment then or wait 6 months due to my age as 50% chance of my body fighting it. 

I then returned 03rd June 2020 to have another colposcopy and they confirmed 14th July my results were normal - RESULT I THOUGHT. And they'd see me in 6 months for another check. 

January 25th 2021 was the next appointment and the letter got lost in post as I called yesterday and the lady has confirmed it has come back CIN2 again. I am absolutely gutted and they now recommend treatment. They're sending me a new letter as the appointment they gave me 9th March 2021 I am at my little sisters funeral. So they said my gynaecologist is away for couple weeks so new appt will be April. 

im just so concerned and worried. I think they'll do LLETZ. But they haven't said what one I'll have yet. Maybe the letter will say? Can anywhere share experiences and what the chances are of it returning again. Will this still let me get pregnant when clear as I really want children. But I know how important this.

any advise and support would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Paige! 

Hi Paige, sorry to hear what you're going through. I was told that lletz treatment is 98% effective, the treatment will usually kick your immune system into fighting the hpv infection. You can get pregnant afterwards but they usually ask you to wait till after the 6 month follow up to make sure you're healed and had a negative smear. I've had 3 lletz as I had early cancer but I know a few people that have had 1 lletz to treat pre cancerous cells, normal smears since and gone on to have children with no issues. They do say lletz can weaken the cervix and increase the risk of premature labour but i think its ususlly if you have multiple lletz, plus they can monitor to make sure its ok x

Hi Libby123,

Thank you so much for replying and giving me some hope. Im am so anixous and worried and having children my main concern as awful as that sounds. As having a family is my dream eventually when safe to do so. 

I hope you don't mind me asking how do you find the procudure? As I see so many stories - I'm trying to tell myself I've had two biopsies done across the time frame with no anaesthesic so ca only hope will be less painful so to speak. Is the procedure long or is it shorter?

sorry for all the questions - Jsut hard when speaking to people when they haven't had it and they all tell you it's going to be fine y'know. Talking to like mind people really helps put me at ease to have some j derstanding that this is normal, if that makes sense

thank you again,

Paige xx

The procedure itself was fine, its a bit of a blur as its been a while but they give you an anaesthetic into the cervix and check you can't feel anything before they begin. There'll be a nurse by your side for reassurance while another nurse or consultant does the procedure. Its all over in a few minutes. I wasn't in pain during or after, tge only problem i had was that I got an infection after the first and third lletz but was just treated with antibiotics x

I also tried my best to be healthy to help my immune system. Not sure if you smoke but there's a strong link between cervical problems/persistent hpv and smoking so best to stop if you do. My consultant also advised me to eat well, take vitamins including folic acid, try to reduce stress (easier said than done), i also drank green tea as i read it can help.  Dont know if any of that made a difference but made me feel like I was doing something to help x

Ahh that's good! I'm hoping that I get the same and sorry to hear yours you'd got an infection but it's nice to hear that it cleared up fine with a course of antibiotics.

I don't smoke no, but I am willing to get healthier for sure. And maybe take some vitamins to help my immune system. I have green tea and home so might start. Like you said - even if no huge evenidence little steps in making me think I'm at least helping my body get rid of it. 

you've put me at ease and hearing that I can still have children and they will monitor me and things is a huge relief. I'm still Antioxouis but I know they will do the best to reassure me on the day and ypuve been so helpful. 

I cannot explain how greatful I am to be able to speak to someone that's a human as silly as that sounds. Since your LLETZ's if you mind me asking you've been clear? If that right? 

fingers and toes crossed.

Thank yoh again ?

Ahh that's good! I'm hoping that I get the same and sorry to hear yours you'd got an infection but it's nice to hear that it cleared up fine with a course of antibiotics.

I don't smoke no, but I am willing to get healthier for sure. And maybe take some vitamins to help my immune system. I have green tea and home so might start. Like you said - even if no huge evenidence little steps in making me think I'm at least helping my body get rid of it. 

you've put me at ease and hearing that I can still have children and they will monitor me and things is a huge relief. I'm still Antioxouis but I know they will do the best to reassure me on the day and ypuve been so helpful. 

I cannot explain how greatful I am to be able to speak to someone that's a human as silly as that sounds. Since your LLETZ's if you mind me asking you've been clear? If that right? 

fingers and toes crossed.

Thank yoh again ?

Yes been clear since. I was on 3 monthly, then 6 monthly now yearly check ups and smears. I'm still a nervous wreck every time lol. My smears are showing hpv negative now so most people would be put back to 3 yearly smears but because I had early cancer found, im still seen yearly x

Oh wow, that's really good. So were you 3 monthly after the final LLETZ then? 

I'm so happy and glad to hear that you're now showing HPV Negative and ypure yearly and it's still being checked! I'm glad to hear that it was got rid of it and your immune system is fighting the virus. 

I'm so greatful to of had you hear for support for me. And give me advise and ways of trying to help! I just really hope they catch this CIN2 soon and hopefully don't have to keep worrying even though I always will. But so glad to hear you've had children safely and all had been well. As given me peace that I can do that hopefully too! 

this beats any horror story I heard - I could t be more greatful. 

Thank you again, Libby. 

You're more than welcome. Yes 3 monthly after the final lletz then gradually increased to yearly. As I say, I know a few women who have had lletz procedure to remove pre cancerous cells and had no problems since. I think maybe alot of women just dont talk about it so you can feel really alone when it happens to you x

Hi Paige 

I just wanted to say - I have a friend who was found to have CIN3 on her second ever smear , she was told it was quite bad and she had to have it removed . This was around 10 years ago and she has since had 2 children and every smear since has been normal . 

I have no advice regarding the treatment as I'm just at the stage of finding out I have CIN2 and will be having treatment later this month but from what I've heard the treatment can actually boost your immune system . I have also started taking vitamins D, C and a multi B vitamin daily ( I hope these are the right ones lol ) along with drinking green tea and I stopped smoking the day I had my smear result in February, I agree that it feels good to feel like I'm doing something .

I hope everything goes really smoothly for you ! My appointment is on 23rd March so I will try to remember to post how it all went xx 

Thank you very much Libby! I think that's exactly it, because it's such a experience I know deep down hundreds of women go through it but wish more people like your else speak out to mae others feel a ease and normal. But you really have helped me hugely! Thank you! 

Hi RB1926, 

thank you very much for commenting on here. That is so hugely postive to hear and to know she had children and had been clear since. I was thinking of getting some vitamins at my food shop tomorrow - just to give me thag extra boost anyway. Just to try and help my body where i can. 

I really appreciate everything right now, I'm definitely planning to post my post LLETZ. To try and help others as if I feel this way there must be many others. You ladies have been so amazing I cannot explain how much more normal I feel. 

when I first got told about HPV I felt dirty. Then I found out more about it but it's just the constant worry at the moment. The one thing I keep telling myself is it's every 6 months at moment for colp so they hopefully will catch anything early. 

plus my results in June/July 2020 came back normal. And it was biopsy 25/01/21 that said CIN2 which confused me how the smear was normal in July and then CIN2 again Jan. but I'm trying to keep postive thay everything is being checked and I can have my family one day 

Yes I think it can develop quite quickly - the cells between CIN stages , I mean I had none last year and CIN2 this year . My friend went all the way to severe CIN3 in 3 years - but I think the development to cancer from CIN is a lot slower ! I'm trying to find out but I think maybe it's not a process or CIN1, then 2 then 3 but just the amount/ type of cells is the CIN - like CIN2 may never have been CIN1 if you know what I mean ? 

But , you are in the system they will be able to remove the cells and so many people have never had any problems since ! Stay positive and keep doing the best for your body because that's never a bad thing ??

I hope you are all well and hope you dont mind me jumping on the bandwagon?

I have been diagnosed on and off since 2014 with HPV and abnormal cells, I had just had my son and found this result overwhelming and scary because it was the unknown. I felt dirty and ashamed, I didnt tell my mum as felt she would be disappointed(I recently learnt that she went through something similiar, wished now I was brave enough to have spoken up about it!). Over the years I have had three colposcopies and my first two were boarderline and told no treatment needed, I was then HPV clear for a few years. However I had a smear three weeks ago and it showed HPV & CGIN, again not knowing anything about it I started searching for information and found the normal NHS and medical sites which are not personal at all. I was advised I needed another colposcopy within two weeks, the letter read different from my previous letter as this one suggested I needed treatment. Four days later, Monday (1st) I was called in the morning and went in that afternoon at 3:20pm. 

When I arrived the doctor asked if I knew why I was there, he asked if I had finished my family, he then explained LLETZ and that he would be taking away a little more to try and remove the abnormalities. I found it all very quick, so quick I didn't really have time to think much about it. I did get upset whilst having the procedure but all staff were very supportive and friendly, I felt like the aftercare could have been explained a little better as I was given a leaflet and told results will take six weeks. The doctor explained that no matter what I would remain with the hospital for further smear test for five years. 

The actual LLETZ treatment is very quick and uncomfortable but not painful. After treatment I felt like I had bad period pains that I could still feel even after taking two lots of medicines, I have felt tired all week and have had to sit down a lot as had a downwards dragging feeling which is not painful just uncomfortable. 

I am unsure what results are going to show but I am going to ask for a hysterectomy, I have my family and dont want to keep going through this every six months. 

When I spoke to my mum, she was so reassuring as this had happened to her about 18 years ago and I never knew. I knew about her hysterectomy but never knew why she had it done, I am gutted that I didn't just go and speak to her from the start back in 2014. Seven years of keeping something a secret, if only I had just had the courage to talk, it would have given me the support and understanding I was searching for!!

I am so grateful to have found this forum now to share my journey and know that others are facing this too, if anyone has any questions feel free to message me or reply on this feed x

Hi Rachael, 

Feel free to jump on the bandwagon! Talking is so good and it's so good to feel morw than yourself is in the situation.

I just kept worrying about not being able to have children but I've seen so many lovely replies from everyone saying thag isn't the case even from a professional. Fair play to you going for the hysterectomy and saving the 6monthly. But I'm so glad you've had your children and want don't want more. Saves the constant visiting.

im sorry to hear you had lots of pains after but I'm glad to hear that the procedure itself wasn't painful just uncomfortable. As I'm so scared of pain but least I've had biopsies so I have some sort of expectation. 

im glad to hear you've now been able to speak to your mum and feel better. It's such a toughy to talk about and it's so hard to find people but this forum has really helped me understand that I hopefully will be ok! And that fingers crossed my HPV goes after LLETZ. 

As I'm 26, non smoker and going to start taking vitamins to boast my immunity the best I can to feel I'm helping and can only hope with the treatment and my body I can go back to yearly of something and have a thought about starting to have kids.

thank you!!!

Hi Rn, 

Thank yoh for being so open and honest with me and explaining things so well. I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed that once I've had it - it will be normal and have no more problems at least for a while so I can have a family! 

thank you! This forum has really helped me understand I'm not alone on this at all

Update my appointment is April 12th at 9am. So I’m trying to to worry to much on my results as the original appointment was 8th March. So they can’t be too ‘worried’ if I’m able to wait a month? If you get me. Also bought some vitamins yesterday and drinking green tea! Anything to helps right! Xxx

Good afternoon all, so I wanted to take the time to post my experience this morning after the anixous nervous wait for 1 month on the run up to my LLETZZ Procedure.

So it went better more than I could of ever thought. So I cried before going in and just before she spoke to me. She told me what was going to happen. And the two ladies that were in there couldn’t of been more supportive. I’m a bit squimish and asked them to block the screen in which they did. For me personally the inserting of the spectulam was more uncomfortable than anything else in the procedure. I personally didn’t feel the injection at all, my legs did shake which my doctor advised me of prior. The procedure itself was over within a few minutes and I was able to sit back up. I genuinely had such a positive experience and if I needed it again would happily go through it again without a worry. I was/an CIN2 and she only needed a small loop and I’ll be seen again within 6 month for test of cure.

But i can say the worry and nervous we’re worse than the procedure. I had the best experience and anyone who is waiting I would tell you to breathe and you really are in the best hands possible!! I am UK based too! Just some bed rest and snacks for me ❤️❤️