Post LLETZ procedure

Hi all, I'm new to this forum & have just signed up today. I had a Colposcopy on Monday after my smear was HPV positive & showed high grade changes. 
They gave me treatment in my first colposcopy as it looked high grade & now I'm just waiting the 4-weeks for results.

I'm spinning out a little as had treatment about 20-years who when I was much younger (I'm now 39) & had moderate dyskaryosis, where as this time round it's severe & I was referred to the clinic very fast. I'm so scared of what the results will show.

I've barely bled at all & can't remember what happened last time. Is it normal not to bleed or not have any kind of discharge?

Thanks,

Emma. 

Hi Emma

I am guessing you had a LLETZ? I didnt experience any bleeding for the first 7 days, this is because they cauterise the surface of the cervix. I think i had a slight discharge towards the end of the first week. As this cauterised area started to soften and come away as part of the healing process, I did then bleed for several weeks. 

Everybody is slightly different, but due to the cauterisation, I think it is normal not to experience bleeding during the first week.

All the best xXx

Thank-you so much for your reply. Yes it was the LLETZ that I had done. That makes me feel better knowing that, & that it's normal, as I was wondering why I hadn't bled or had any discharge yet. 
Did it take 4-weeks for your results to come through? Also what happened with you when you got them? Is it just confirming the CIN level? 
Thanks again, Emma. 

Hi Emma 

Im glad the explanation helped! Its all a bit of a mystery what they actually do during the treatment and I felt calmer having researched what was going on with my body and how it heals. So don't be alarmed if you start to pass blood after 7 days, could be a little longer.

I got my results within 10 days, so you may not need to wait the full 4 weeks, it all depends on workload in your area's lab... due to covid I got my results over the phone to avoid an unnecessary hospital trip. 

For the majority of women, the LLETZ captures all the abnormal cells and they go back in 6mth time for a "test of cure" which is a smear test to check if you are now HPV negative and without abnormalities. 

All the best xXx

Thank-you so much again! This forum has really helped me, as lots to read & helps you realise you're not on your own. 
I remember them saying about the test of cure. Do you find out there & then if the HPV has gone? 
That's good news your results came through in 10-days. Fingers crossed mine come earlier too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me again, it's really appreciated x

Hi hoopy,

Thats right, 6mth after your lletz you'll have a smear test including HPV test, and when you get the results, it will confirm whether you have any further abnormalities and what grade, and whether you are HPV +/-

If you are still HPV +, then you will remain on regular 6mthly monitoring to ensure any abnormal cells which could develop are caught early 

The treatment aims to not only rid you of the abnormal cells but to help the body fight the HPV infection too. The natural healing process from the LLETZ recovery can kick start this, also by removing the cells there is less viral load which also helps the body fight back 

Fingers crossed for you x

Thank-you again! Your replies have really helped me & fingers crossed for the results.

Take care x

Hi Emma, 

just wondering if you have received your results yet? I had lletz on the 21st and am also waiting results, my smear showed severe dyskaryosis and hpv. 

Becky

Hi Becky, 

Nope still no results :-( It will be 3-weeks on Monday, but they did say can take up to 4-weeks. I'm just impatient & want to know. 
I was the same as you, severe plus HPV. How did you find the LLETZ?

Emma. 

Hello Emma, 

I had LLETZ 9 days ago, so the procedure is still fresh in my mind!

For the sake of your thread, I will jump to LLETZ. Let me make one thing clear: The fear and anxiety were by far worse than the actual procedure. I choose to have local anesthesia by recommendation from my doctor and friends (that are doctors as well). I asked my doctor if I could listen to music during the procedure and she happily accepted! It's a small thing, but it put me at ease. Overall, the procedure lasted 10-15 minutes. Once you are numbed, you feel pushing and back and forth in this area, but that's it. 

Then you are back on your feet and you go home. I was expected to bleed right after the procedure, but I started bleeding only 7 days afterward because of the product they put on the wound during the procedure that stops bleeding.

However, one thing that I was not told and surprised me: extreme watery discharge that gets worse during the night. It's all healthy stuff (basically your body creates antibacterial fluid), but it's a lot. Be aware.  

Wishing you all the best!