Polyp found during colposcopy

I went for colposcopy this week- my 4th since HPV and cell changes were found on a routine smear (changes have stayed low grade but HPV has persisted) so I’ve been going for yearly follow-up ever since. During the colposcopy the nurse commented that there was a polyp on my cervix that she would remove. As she removed it she said that she actually wasn’t sure it was a polyp, but didn’t offer any suggestion as to what it might be and said it would be sent for histology for testing. At the end of my appointment she said I would probably get the histology results before the smear results. I’m now terrified that this could be cancer and I can’t eat or sleep with the anxiety. Has anyone else experienced anything similar with growths on the cervix that aren’t polyps? I just need some reassurance about what it could be, other than the worst case scenario.

Sounds like all the gps/nurses adopt a different approach. I’m terrified as they said a lesion was found on smear, which similar to you could mean anything. At least the biopsy has been done hugs X

It could be a polyp, as she thought it was. I think the nurse was just trying not to be definitive when of course only histology can tell for sure because it will look at it at a microscopic level. But she thought it was a polyp, and they are pretty distinctive. If it WERE to be a cancer, she has removed it, and you will be investigated to make sure that is it. Please try not to panic - you’re beating yourself up over something that could be nothing. Take courage! X

2 Likes