Petrified of Brachy

Hi Ladies,

very recently diagnosed stage 2B, I’m currently at the end of week 1 of treatment, 5 chemo, 25 external radiotherapy and 4 Brachy, I’m absolutely petrified of the Brachy, has anyone been through it? Give me some tips on how to deal with the petrified feeling I have going on at the moment? how painful was it really? How was it afterwards? 

Thanks for your time

Donna

Hey - please don’t be scared. It’s really not painful. You are asleep when they put it in and you can have pain relief once you come to if you need it. I honestly wasn’t in any pain at all (And you won’t be either).

it didn’t hurt to take it out either and I was in no pain afterwards (I was able to get several buses home so perfectly mobile). 

The time actually went a lot quicker than I thought it would too. If you search the forum for bracchy experiences I think you will find most people saying it’s not as bad as they thought it would be.

you really will be fine x 

Please do a quick search for my post on Brachy. I was so tempted to ditch it. Glad I didn't. Anything you want to ask please say or even message me

Kate x

I’m 8 weeks post brachy.

not a nice treatment, but a life saving one for many.

uncomfortable , but doable

its over in a day and then that’s is you done.

everyone is scared- I certainly was, but I’m here to tell the tale.

the nurses will give you all the pain relief you need to get you through it

good luck and in about 8 weeks time, it will all be over xx

Hey, please don’t let the fear take control!  Brachytherapy for me was really straight forward, I arrived on a Tuesday at 7am, was changed and given my bed for the day, I would then go down to the theatre room where the team would give me a spinal epidural so I was numb from the chest down, in theatre I didn’t feel a thing, just the occasional bit of movement but no pain what so ever.  From there I would have an MRI and CT to plot the treatment, the brachytherapy would then be administered and the equipment removed, I never needed any pain relief or use of gas and air (for me it was like having a tampon removed) I had some slight spotting for a few hours after each round of treatment but that was all.

Everyones experience is different but for me the bracytherapy was what got me the all clear, upto my first session there had been no change what so ever to my tumour so for me personally I would definitely say build the strength to go through it, it really is worth it! 

Good luck wishing you all the best xx

Brachy  for me was hard but know where near  as bad as I had thought any questions plz ask inbox me on here as I might not  always  pick up status  updates xxx