Pet scan

Hoping someone can help! I was diagnosed with stage 2b cervical cancer and finished radio/chemo at the end of feburary. I had an MRI scan 2 weeks ago and they have just rang me to say there were some changes on my scan and that i need to go for a full body pet scan next week. Has anyone else had this? Im guessing the changes on my MRI mean that i still have cancer? 

Hi - I think I am probably in the same situation as you. It’s sh*t scary isn’t it! 

I don’t think it necessarily means you have cancer but they can see changes on your MRI that they can’t explain what it is so want to double check with a pet scan. 

So in my case I have a whitening on a CT scan in one of my bones. The oncologist says it could be bone cancer or it could be bone necrosis / radiotherapy damage. Obviously I’m hoping for the latter. 

I would ring your team up for more information if I was you and ask why you need a pet scan. Hopefully it turns out to be good news x 

Or I guess it could be that there is an enlarged lymph node and they want to see if it is enlarged due to cancer or another reason. I’m just guessing wildly now :-).

I think ring and ask x

Oh god bone necrosis? How would they treat that? I have been getting a lot of hip pain but assumed that was just radiotherapy damage. When do you find out about your results? xx

I‘m on holiday this week in the UK. Then have scan next week and find out the week after. 

No idea how they treat bone necrosis. Or if they do? I have absolutely no pain on the side which they are worried about. My other hip really hurts and oncologist just says he doesn’t know why??? 

Im seeing my consultant on tuesday and have a pet scan on wednesday so hopefully ill find out soon. I hope you manage to enjoy your holiday and it takes your mind off things a bit. Let me know how you get on with your results. Fingers crossed its nothing to worry about xx

Thanks - will do. Hope it all goes well for you too next week x 

I had that hip pain years ago and It was nothing more than a lack of lubrication in the socket due to the radiotherapy and it corrected itself in time.

Karen