CT scan showing bone necrosis or bone cancer

Hi, 

Just had an oncology appt to find out the results of my 6 month post treatment CT scan. It showed that the tumour looks like it has gone from cervix and lymph nodes. 

However the Radiologist is concerned that part of my pelvis has a white shadow on it. It’s on the loop at the bottom of your pelvis ?ischium bone. i asked my oncologist what he thought it was and he says he has no idea. It could be bone necrosis from the radiotherapy or a deposit of cancer. If it’s cancer I’m looking at palliative radiotherapy and a couple of years. Anyone had a similar scare and a good result? 

I asked the oncologist if it was a usual place for cancer to reoccur and he said no - however I feel pretty depressed by it all. 

Plan is MRI and PET scan and even then they might not know for sure. If the uptake is high on the pet scan it could be cancer and then I have the option of a biopsy or wait three months and see if it grows. 

All this waiting and never getting definite answers is so stressful. 

X

Oh Susan I am so sorry you are going through yet more uncertainty. Just wondering if you have been in any pain as if it was cancer you might expect to be in some pain. I guess all you can do is hold onto the fact that at least it has gone from your cervix and lymph nodes, and that it is not usual for it to return there. I hope you get your scans booked soon so that you can know what you might be up against, if anything. Stay strong. X

Thanks Rachel. The funny thing is that all my hip pain / buttock pain is on the left hand side. The area of concern is on the right. Plus my spine hurts but the oncologist says that’s just radiation and can take a few years to wear off. 

X

I'm so sorry Susan. More stress that you didn't need. Hopefully the pet scan shows it to be radiation damage. If so, maybe hyperbaric treatment could be an option for you too. Wishing you all the best for your coming scans and appointments. Message me if you ever feel like a chat. Thinking of you xxx

Thanks Bexter - your comment means a lot and I will message you at some point. You got me thinking - I don’t actually think there are that many hyperbaric chambers around the uk but I guess if something would help it’s worth a journey. 

Hope you are getting on ok and if you are still in hospital you get to go home soon x 

I got out of hospital on the 3rd May. Making really slow progress at home. Still trying to rebuild some energy. 

I start hyperbaric on 4th June. Hoping it's successful and helps me avoid major surgery in a year to repair my fistula.  Xx

Wishing you a speedy recovery x