Painful smear and diazepam

Hi. I've just been for a smear test and because I couldn't relax, the speculum was pushed out. I've been for three tests before, and all have been painful. Even the first one when I wasn't worried, or embarrassed, or tense. That day I didn't know exactly what to expect, so was just proud of myself for going, because I knew a few people who didn't. Anyway, my point is I don't think it's as simple as I can't relax. The nurse did ask if I wanted her to try again, but at that point I was more tense than when I went in, and was crying (I'm so dramatic.) I've booked an appointment with the doctor to get something to relax me, she thinks it will be diazepam. 

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this before, due to painful smears, and if it worked for them? Also, if it doesn't work, is there another step they do, like sending me to the hospital, where I'd get something stronger that would almost knock me out?

I feel like I'm over reacting, because everyone tells me theirs are fine, just a bit uncomfortable.

Hi. 

I have had lorazepam and diazepam for gynae procedures / surgery pre med because I have had panic attacks previously and I have to say they worked a treat. I would thoroughly recommend them as a means to completing such an important examination.

I was still in control but I was just very chilled out and matter of fact about things that would have had me trembling, weeping and hyperventilating otherwise.

I hope this gives you some reassurance that the drugs absolutely do work! 

All the best xXx

I didn't know you could do this! You've literally sorted my entire problem out :D 

Lorazapam works wonders for me. I couldn't get through any of this without it. They even put me on it daily now, while I wait for more tests and more results. 

Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel so much better knowing that it does actually work.

Hi Everyone.

I have just joined. I went for my smear today, i haven't had one since i was 25 due to the experience being really bad. However, there has been some changes in my most recent period so thought i may as well not put off anymore.

The nurse was really supportive and totally understood, but the pain was horrific. She thinks i may have an infection that may be causing some of the issues, and managed to get a swab. She has referred me to the doctor to do it, and has said she will get her to give me diazapam, so was wondering what this would be like! Also suffer from anxiety and as soon as they try and touch me i just freak.

Hi! Did it work for you?