Painful colposcopy after surgery

Hello everyone!

I just wanted some advice on my next colposcopy please? I had stage 1b1 cervical cancer and had my lymph nodes and most of my cervix removed through a knife cone biopsy in November 2016.  When i went for my next colposcopy in May 2017 it was really painful when they tried to take a sample from my cervix.  The doctor said that its because my cervix hadnt fully healed and could be still raw.  I have my next one due next month and i am really worried! Usually smears dont bother me but i am terried i will experience the same pain again and it was that bad the doctor said if he couldnt get enough sample he will bring me back and put me under anaesthetic.  I have read on here that some people have terrible pain everytime they go and im very worried i will be one of them. I took 2 painkillers beforehand but that obviously didnt help. I was thinking of taking 2 very strong co codomol to see if that helps. I just want to be able to go there and be relaxed and it not hurt too much but im panicking which i know will make it worse. Last week i went to the sexual health clinic because i have been bleeding recently after sex so they had a look and unfortunately she couldnt find my cervix (probably because theres not much left ha) and i was very nervous then, no pain though because she didnt try and take anything from my cervix.

Can anybody provide me with any tips on how to be more relaxed for this and anything that they recommend to avoid pain? Or to at least reduce it.

Thank you so much! I wish you all a healthy life ahead!

Vicky xxx

July 2016 - Abnormal cells

Sept 2016 - Loop to remove

Oct 2016 - Confirmed stage 1b1

Nov 2016 - Results shown it hadnt spread and was able to choose removal of lymph nodes and large cone biospy

Jan 2017 - Surgeon confirmed no abnormalities around the areas or lymph noded

May 2017 - No HPV found and due to go back May 2018

Hi

Sorry to hear this I have also experienced this type of pain after my trachelectomy at my follow up appointments. I had thought mine was improving but last time it was very painful. Sorry I have not offered much relief to your worries I just wanted to say you are not the only one. I am going to call in advance before my next appointment to say that I might need extra time at my app as I don't want to feel under pressure like last time. I was left pretty shaken up and the pain had me in tears. 

Let me know how you get on and let's hope our check ups get better :) xx

Hello! 

Thanks for letting me know! Least i know its not just me and a common problem! Its so unfair that we have to go through this with it being very painful! I dont see why they cant numb the area beforehand knowing this happens to alot of women!

Thanks again, will do! Goodluck with the rest of yours, i hope it gets better for you! :) xxx

July 2016 - Abnormal cells

Sept 2016 - Loop to remove

Oct 2016 - Confirmed stage 1b1

Nov 2016 - Results shown it hadnt spread and was able to choose removal of lymph nodes and large cone biospy

Jan 2017 - Surgeon confirmed no abnormalities around the areas or lymph noded

May 2017 - No HPV found and due to go back May 201

Hi Vicky!

Hope you're ok. Although my check up isn't until September I am worried too as it was painful last time and took 3 attempts to get a sample. I am going to try codeine and paracetamol beforehand too but if I get very nervous I may request a Valium or similar from GP. I wish they had a quiz or something on the ceiling so I could concentrate on that instead! Imagine a countdown with letters style quiz, I played that once when I had an MRI scan, trying to find as many words to make from the manufacturers name, Siemens.  There are quite a few lol! Take care xx

Hi Lovely!

Nice to hear from you again. Awww im sorry to hear yours have been like that too! I am definitely gonna take some strong pain killers or ask them to provide me with something. I really dont understand why they dont numb the area if this is a common problem, it would be much easier for them too! Hahahaha thats a great idea, i dont know why they dont have something on the wall to relax you. I will let you know how i get on!

Take care, luv Vicky xxx :)

Hi Lovely!

Nice to hear from you again. Awww im sorry to hear yours have been like that too! I am definitely gonna take some strong pain killers or ask them to provide me with something. I really dont understand why they dont numb the area if this is a common problem, it would be much easier for them too! Hahahaha thats a great idea, i dont know why they dont have something on the wall to relax you. I will let you know how i get on!

Take care, luv Vicky xxx :)

When i was in the nurse suggested local aneasthetic but I think that involves a needle in the area so the dr said no (I guess like what you get at the dentist). I am going to ask what they can do at my next app as it is unfair to be in so much pain each time x

Thank you hun. Yeah im going to also speak to my nurse. Its definitely unfair and its bad enough having to go through this with what weve been through. Xxx