Open radical hysterectomy

Due to have my open radical hysterectomy next week! Fair to say I’m absolutely terrified! (Stage 2a and 29 years old)

Has anyone got any stories or tips or words of wisdom? Anything I should specifically buy? 

Thank you :)

Hey. 

Firstly sorry you have to go through this. I was also 29 when I had my hysterectomy in February. 

You will definitely need some nighties rather than pyjamas for hospital as it’s comfier for the catheter. Other than that the whole op is not as bad as I thought. My incision is a pretty big one from above my belly button all the way down to the top of my pubic bone. It’s healed so well and is barely noticeable now. 

If you have any specific questions then feel free to message me!

Alice xx

Definitely take lip balm and dry shampoo.

When I was in having my keyhole hysterectomy there was a lady in the next bed who'd had your op straight after me. If it makes you feel any better she was up and walking a lot better than me the day after. 

Definitely take things in to prevent boredom for a few days, music, reading material etc... Oh and earplugs for night time. I also bought some light support knickers, sloggi type. You'll find they give you more support after your op and keep you comfy.

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

Alice - thank you, hope your doing well and recovered! Saying it’s not as bad makes me feel better. I have bought both pyjamas and nighties. I found it difficult to find nighties that wasn’t sexy smile I’m glad your wound has healed well, I’m on holiday in october so was thinking of this! 

Petesdragon - thank you I shall pick up some dry shampoo! I don’t fancy washing my hair in hospital!

Helen - that’s refreshing to hear, thank you. Hope your feeling well and recovered! I’m going to be downloading some books to my kindle!

Hi nurserose yes to all of the above I also had one of those facial moisture sprays it gets hot and sweaty and it was very refreshing. And take a cushion for the car journey home to put between your tummy and seat belt you will feel every bump in the road. The wind after your op can be pretty uncomfortable take everything the staff offer I hate peppermint tea but it worked. And take the ducosate , constipation is not fun. Goodness I could write a book but it honestly isn't as bad as I expected. Good look take care and let everyone run after you for a while x