Nurse Couldn’t find cervix... again!

Hi there

ive just been to have my smear test, my Last one was 3 years ago, and the same thing has happened on both... the bloody nurse couldn’t find my cervix! She tried getting me to rest my hands under my bum to try and find it but that didn’t do anything. She insereted and re inserted the instrument a few times and there was plenty of digging around but she failed to find it. :( when I entered I was so full of hope too as she said they no longer use the metal things anymore, they are plastic so it’s easier....well apparently not for me ...

I don’t know if it’s inexperience of the nurse?, although she’s the same one I had the last time, or if it’s my body?, either way I can’t help but leave in tears. As the apt was early there was no dr available to help (which is what the nurse needed 3 years ago) so now I have to go back on Xmas Eve! I’m dreading it. I don’t want the same thing to happen every time I go for a smear, it makes me not want to go.

also when I go on Xmas Eve it will be a week before I’m due on my period, I’ve heard this is the worst time to go? Is this true? I’m only 5,7 and I’ve heard height can be a factor in having a “hidden” as my nurse likes to call it, cervix, but surely that can’t be the case? I never want to avoid the smear test because I know how important they are, but when it seems to be as difficult and frustrating as mine, I can’t help but not want to go. 

Ive read previous posts about this before and it gives me some hope that I’m not the only women to go through this. It does help and makes me feel a lot better. Otherwise I can’t help to come out of the Drs feeling upset, and frustrated. I just hope the dr finds it easy next time, but I have my doubts. :(

Hi, I’m so sorry to hear about the experience(s) you’ve had. From what you’ve described sounds as if that nurse is very inexperienced when it comes to women‘s anatomy, especially when it’s not a textbook examination. Many women have varying differences of their anatomies and thus different size speculums should be used, for example. Did she try to get you ‘cough’? Sometimes that helps.

I’ve never heard of having a smear/examination a week before a period or how tall you are may affect the smear/examination and having a ‘hidden’ (displaced) cervix. I’m 5’4’’ and had a displaced cervix, where it was short, tilted sideways and backwards. I would advise to insist on having the doctor perform the smear. That’s what I was advised to do and though it didn’t make it comfortable, they were much better in locating my cervix.

The most important thing to do is to keep on having smears, as it’s the only way to detect any abnormalities presently. 

Good luck and all the best. xx 

Hi there, thank you for your reply. It means a lot. Yes I agree I think she’s very inexperienced too, she didn’t try getting me to cough, maybe I will try that tomorrow. She just got me to do the hands under the bum, and then she did a lot of uncomfortable searching but to no luck.

Well I’m due at the drs tomorrow morning for the nurse & Dr to try a successful smear examination, not the best way to start Xmas Eve I have to admit, but I’d rather have it done so it clears my mind. Fingers crossed it’s quicker and better then the last time. I think I will also insist a dr does the examination now too, I’ve hade enough problems with the nurse.

thank you again. 

How did your smear go hope it was better than last time xx