Couldn’t find cervix, in a lot of pain. Help?

Hi, 

just wondering if anyone can offer any advice - my mum who is 59 went for a smear test today, she’s never had any problem with them before but the nurse couldn’t find her cervix this time and dig around for about half an hour, then told her it’s common at her age for the cervix to “be hidden”? She just got home in tears because she’s in a lot of pain and the nurse didn’t stop when mum said she was really hurting. She was sexually assaulted when she was a child and this has bought back memories of that. 

The nurse booked her back in for two weeks time, but mum is very apprehensive having this nurse do this again. Would it be unreasonable for us to write a letter to the doctors surgery explaining the distress this has caused and asking for another nurse/gp to try a smear tear next time? 

I don’t know if I’ve portrayed how awful mum feels well, she doesn’t ever make a fuss or complain so the fact that she walked in the door in tears has really left me concerned. (Also - not sure if it’s relevant but her last smear test showed pre cancerous changes and she had a procedure to remove them). 

Thanks in advance x

hi did she try the puting her fists under her hips my wife has athritus so we brought a spesal wedge shaped pillow you can get them off amazon unfornatly there know as sex pillows as for the nurse you need to complain about her as her actions are unexsaptable and se will do this to another woman tell the sergary you need someone else to do it unfotrnatly this may meen they want tosend a male just tell them no if there nothelpfull you will take it up with pals