No clue on progress

I’ve recently completed all my treatment and had my brachytherapy. At every opportunity I’ve asked about the progress, has it shrunk? No one would have an answer for me. Even after my mri to check the rods. Is this normal?
Now I’m home and trying to process everything that’s happened to me, I was stage 2B squamous cell after 12 years of clear smears and I’m HPV negative, I feel they are keeping things from me. Other stories I’ve read, ladies have been told how big their cancer is before brachy. Has anyone been in a position where they had no clue until their follow up appointments?

1 Like

Hi, I had same treatment I finished 9th may I was 5cm squamous tumour had treatment mris through Brac, was told on my mri check before Brac it has shrunk was responding well, I then had mris at each Brac and on my last Brac when they was placing the rods they said there wasn’t hardly anything left to see, I had my follow up last week and I’ve a pet scan and mri Monday and Tuesday coming I won’t know results till end of month have to go in for results for a quick examination at the same time, they should have been able to tell you how treatments working by now, which is strange but don’t be worrying, xx

2 Likes

Thank you for replying. I only had one mri as a my local hospital they do it all over a three day stay, 18 hours of laying still which was intense. I’ve got a six week check next month, but this is over the phone so I will ask when I get that. I’d stopped having period like pain and bleeding, so that’s a positive sign, I just found it odd that lots of ladies knew the size of their tumour going into brachy treatment and I wasn’t told even though I’d asked x

2 Likes

Mine was done weekly one a week for 3 weeks they was after my radio and chemo, I didn’t have any bleeding but it’s put me into early menopause due to my age, hope you find something out soon yes mention it when they phone you, my 6 weeks check was late I was seen at 11 weeks then my scans followed week later which are this week coming. Not looking forward to the scans again but needs must xx

Hi @leigh try not to worry (easier said than done I know!). I completed treatment on 3 May for stage 2B adenocarcinoma (had a 5cm tumour). I had an MRI before my brachytherapy. I also had CT scans before each brachy too. I asked my consultant for the MRI results when I went in for my brachy and was told the report wasn’t back yet and then was told it wasn’t fully reported yet but she could tell me she knew it was working! I also thought I would be told the size after this but I never was. I’ve just had my post treatment MRI and await my results on 14 August. Have you got a date for your next scan? xx

1 Like

Hi, thanks for replying. I’ve got my six week follow up by telephone next month, but no dates for scans just yet. Can I ask how long it took after your treatment to start feeling ‘normal’ I feel so sore with pressure pains and I’m at the loo every hour. X

The first 3/4 weeks after treatment I was definitely going to the loo more often and getting up a few times during the night but that has eased off and I’m not going as often now. Started feeling more “normal” then too although having to deal with symptoms of the menopause now so not sure I’ll ever feel like how I did before treatment xx

Thank you. I’d just started menopause symptoms before my diagnosis but they’re here with a vengeance now. I know I’ll never be what I was before, I just can’t wait to be out of this low point I’m at now. I’d had complications with my brachytherapy and needed a blood transfusion, I dread to think how crap I’d be feeling without the transfusion x

Yeah I’ve just started on HRT to help with the symptoms. I had to get 2 blood transfusions as well (first after 3rd chemo and second just before my second brachy). I still have days where I feel overwhelmed and overthink things but they are less often now! Just take one day at a time. The waiting about for results is the hardest part I feel! xx

1 Like