NHS Smear clear 2 weeks after home test says pos

I have tested HPV positive for 2 smears a year apart, the last one was Oct 2023. So I went for my third on 18 Jan and have just been given the all clear and told it will repeated in 5 years w(which I doubt as I will be 71 then). HOWEVER, I had already done a home test with Medicines Online a little over 2 weeks before the nhs smear on the 18th, it said I had HPV and it was variant 16 which is one of the ones that can cause cancer. I had even given this letter to the nurse on the 18th and she said she would add it to my notes! So, instead of jumping the gun and requesting a smear again I have decided to order another test from Medicines Online. Has anybody else been in this situation? I am obviously hoping the home test was wrong, and if so have I got any come back for the stress this has caused me? (and a refund). On the other hand if it turns out the NHS smear was wrong, they would have sent me away for 5 years with a possible cancer growing. Malpractice case I would have thought? Linda x

Hi Linda
Sorry to hear you’re having such a difficult situation. Sounds very strange
I imagine we would all think the nhs test is more accurate but I’m not sure how the online one would get false positives
I wonder if nhs is a different kind of test? Maybe that explains the difference?
When you get your next results please post again with an update

1 Like

Update, the second test from Medicines online was positive for HPV. So that means…

3 Jan , positive for HPV variant 16, private test
18 Jan, negative nhs smear, recall 5 years (but I will be 71)
5 Feb. positive for HPV, private test. (didn`t pay extra for variant)

So I have just sent for the Superdrug test so I can go fully armed to insist on another smear with nhs. ( thats assuming Superdrug is positive). But I somehow feel they will stay say no and I dont know how to go private up here near John O Groats, google isnt much help, anybody?

I am in totally the same boat. Superdrug tests positive, nhs and also a private smear negative. I’m out of the system until 2026. There is no way back into the annual smear system so you would need to pay private for an annual smear. I just had one at £400ish. Make sure to get one that checks cells not just HPV as you already know that

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for your post. Can you tell me how you found a private clinic to the smear only I can’t find any up here in north Scotland ? Bupa do them but nearest clinic is 270 miles away :frowning: x

Hi Destiny
How strange your story is but sound like you are approaching it very sensibly
How easy is it for you to get to Inverness? I googled ‘private smear’ and inverness and it came up with a clinic you could try but I can see that is still quite far away xx

Hi again, thank you for your reply. I am 100 miles from Inverness but that’s ok, I often go there for ophthalmology. Can you please tell me the contact details of the private clinic? X

1 Like

I don’t think we can share names on clinics in posts but I will send you a private message. Good to hear you might have an option xx

Hiya Brunetteteacher. I have just had a positive from Superdrug and negative from medicine online😩 What were your results in the end positive or negative? I was so happy when I got negative from medicine online then the week after positive from Superdrug. Medicine online on sending me another test kit out, Superdrug haven’t got back to me yet, but only message today. It’s all so stress full😢

Hiya… I have just had a positive from Superdrug and negative from medicine online😩 What were your results in the end positive or negative? I was so happy when I got negative from medicine online then the week after positive from Superdrug. Medicine online on sending me another test kit out, Superdrug haven’t got back to me yet, but only message today. It’s all so stress full😢

I got positive December 2023 Superdrug, negative private smear January 2024 and negative May 2023 nhs. I don’t know what’s going on. Went to the doctor today who said cervix looks red and could be an ectropion. I think unlikely in a 40 year old. Waiting list for gynae is 52 weeks…

1 Like

Just received another test from medicine online, still no reply from Superdrug :woozy_face: will post what results I get back from medicine next week. Even if I get another negative from them I’ll still be thinking what if Superdrug’s positive was the right one. Just can’t win, so stressful​:weary: I had to pay privately last year as couldn’t go three years like NHS wanted me to do. That was after my colposcopy with them, because it looked ok, but still HPV. I will pay privately again this year to, just don’t have any holidays now, saved money is all going on this​:cry:Hope you get an appointment sooner than that, keep ringing up xx

1 Like

Did you get your results back Mia? I’m going back to GP on Friday to get a second opinion on this bleeding x

Yes I did and it was positive this time😢 I was so happy when I got the negative from them the other week. They tried to say I must have taken the swab wrong🥴told them I’ve done it enough times to know how to do it. Then they said sometimes there is a very slight chance of a false negative in theses tests. If I hadn’t done one with Superdrug too I would be thinking I was clear of HPV. It’s all so disheartening, I’m just going to wait and have one at a private hospital again in September and have my cells checked for changes then I’m sure of what’s happening to me. Let me know how you get on, hope you have some clarity xx

1 Like