Anxiety Returns :(

Hi Everyone.

I havent posted on here for a good while. But just wanted to try and connect with people who understand.

See my signature history if you have time to do so.

My friend has been sent a smear result (severe) after having a clear test just 3 years ago. It sounds so stupid but its completely brought my anxieties back from when I went through all this. It’s making me feel sick and I can’t think about much else.

I’m worrying that they didnt swab me properly at my 6 month test of cure check, or that they missed something at my last smear in March 2018. What if my HPV has come back? Is it worth getting a home HPV test between now and my next smear in 2021?

I have had a few symtoms over the past few months also, slight discharge after
sex and spotting on day 14 of my cycle two months in a row. I also have a history of BV. I’ve been to the Drs twice and they didnt seem too concerned, I’ve had an examination, all looked ok. I’ve been told to monitor any symptoms over 3 months. I havent had any symptoms for the past month at least.

How likely is it my HPV has come back since less than 2 years ago? Do you think they have missed something?

I’m so sorry for all the questions, the anxiety of my friend going from normal to severe in 3 years is really affecting me.

Please offer any reassuring words for me
Xx

Hi

Sorry that you're feeling so anxious at the moment.  Thinking about your question whether it's worth getting a home HPV kit; if the test comes back negative that will be very reassuring for you, however, you need to consider what you would do if it came back positive. Because you are up to date with your smear tests it's very possible that, if you took the result to an NHS GP, they would just suggest that you wait for your next smear test because the home HPV kits are not part of the NHS cervical screening programme.  You've already done the right thing by seeing your GP about your symptoms and they are not concerned, although it's good you've been advised to monitor your symptoms.  An alternative is to consider going for private cervical screening, if affordable for you. 

I think the main value of home HPV kits is really for women who, for a variety of reasons, don't want to have their smear tests in a clinical setting. 

A lot of us wonder/worry whether our treatments have been fully effective.  After treatment for cell abnormalities about 90% of people will have no further problems.  You can find this statistic, and some more information, on the following link :

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/abnormal-cells/abnormal-cells-coming-back

Hope this helps a bit?

x

It does help. 

Thanks so much for your response. 

I've bought the kit, will decide whether to use it when it comes. 

Xx