Newly diagnosed and terrified! (children mentioned)

Hello ladies, 

i have beeen reading this forum for about a month now while I have  been  waiting for results from smear test and biopsy and things well on Friday I was called into the hospital and told I have cervical cancer! The consul said from what he can see it looks early but can’t be sure and sent me for mri and ct scan the same day. I am so scared I’m 34 and a single parent to 3 children the youngest being 6. I have stupidly had a long gap between smears because of a silly phobia so I don’t know how long this has been there. Can anyone offer some support please. How likely is it that the consultant is right in saying it’s early? I’m am so scared any help would be appreciated. Thank you xx 

Hi Pinky, 

Sorry to hear your news, welcome to an incredibly sh*t club to join!

I found that the time between diagnosis and 'proper' staging was the worst because your mind goes to nasty places and the panic begins to set in. I would say try not to worry but you will and that's normal. While I know that there are some cases where staging has not been what was originally stated it does seem that these are few and far between and more often than not a consultant wouldn't tell you that it's early if they weren't incredibly sure that it was early. 

Yes, they do have to do MRI's and CT etc. but they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't. Consultants know what they are doing and as soon as you are officially staged then the treatment plan can begin. In honesty? It's a weird feeling but it's a massive relief when the treatment plan is outlined and starts because it feels like active action. The waiting is the worst part of all and I remember that horrid step between diagnosis and staging so clearly.

Even if the staging isn't what was expected so many women on here share their success stories. It's a struggle for everyone but not necessarily the worst case solution - but it's inevitable that your mind will go there, of course it will, it's only natural!

Have a vent and a rant and a cry if you need to and make sure you have some solid support around you. I've found so many ladies on the forum to be very supportive and if you want to send a PM then please do!

xxx

hi Gerry, 

thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I know what you mean my mind has been wandering to the darkest places and I’m so stressed out by it. I have had a phone call from guys cancer centre and I have an appointment tomorrow with the gyne oncology surgical team. Can you shed any light on what that will be about or what will happen there? 

Many thanks for your help 

xx

Hi Pinky,

just like Gerry I wanted to commiserate with you having joined the CC girls, but also to welcome you to this valuable site. It can be such a relief to be able to get in touch with other people who really do understand what you are going through. As for your meeting tomorrow, I hope it goes as well as can be expected, and that you get the answers you need right now. It's hard to say exactly what will happen as every hospital is different, but I'm sure they will be able to tell you a lot more about what the treatment will entail, and as Gerry said, that in itself can be a relief. Do stick on the site as you go through your journey as I am sure it will help as it did for me.. 

Hi. Firstly I want to say don't beat yourself up about your gaps between smears. I was up to date and still diagnosed with advanced. 

To me (I might be wrong ) the fact that you need to see a surgical team sounds like it's early stage and can be dealt with by having a hysterectomy - advanced needs chemoradiation.

Hopefully it's early but if not, chemoradiation iso very effective x

Hi ladies 

thank you so much for your replies it helps a lot to hear from people that have been through this   It’s such a scary time. I just want to know what I’m dealing with but at the same time scared of what I might be told if that makes sense. I’m very much hoping that meeting the surgical team means it can be dealt with with a hysterectomy. I have just been wondering what other reasons they might want me to see the surgical team. 

Phileepa it sounds like you have been through alot.  I do hope you are now well. What treatment did you have? 

Thank you again ladies for your support and information it’s much appreciated. 

Xx