New and treatment starts tomorrow

Hi  I've been lurking around here for weeks since my diagnosis.  Stage 2A and start chemorads tomorrow morning.  I'm terrified as I'm emetophobic (extreme fear of vomiting) and there's not much about people like me and chemo. I've told my Chemo nurse and she's assured me I'll be ok as they will prescribe me the strong stuff. Plus I have Lorazepam to take before I get there. Does anyone have any positive (as far as possible!) experiences of the chemo or is anyone phobic like me? 

It seems a good place to be here and nice that we're in the same boat. Hubby is great but doesn't understand my terror!

Hi Beany

I was a stage 2A (2017) although my first treatment was a radical hysterectomy as the surgeon thought he could 'get it all'.  Unfortunately it was subsequently decided that I had a significant risk for recurrence so I ended up having chemo-radiotherapy as well!  I didn't find the chemo (cisplatin) too bad; it did make me feel nauseous but I was never actually sick  - not even nearly sick.  I had 6 chemo sessions one week apart and I didn't feel nauseous all the time, maybe 2 or 3 days after the chemo as I recall and then it subsided  - I don't think I even took all the anti-emetics that were prescribed. You may already be aware but the chemo part of the treatment is relatively minor and it's purpose is to boost the effects of the radio and means you need less radio than would be otherwise required - knowing that helped me feel more positive about the chemo.

Guess you're in the chemo suite as I write this - hope you are OK?  I felt quite relieved once I was actually in treatment - it was better than wondering and imagining what it might be like.

x

Hi Jazza 

That was extremely reassuring thank you.  I am on the suite now mid cycle. Feeling ok and have all my meds ready to take home. They made notes of my phobia and have given me the strongest anti sickness meds.

I do feel more positive now it's here. Lets just hope for not too many side effects x

Hi  Beany,

I had 5 chemo, 25 radio and 4 brachy. Did feel nausea on some days but I was never once sick. The steroids did their job very well. I was given anti sickness medication to take home but never used it.  I always found chemo day very relaxing but it is very long. Good luck with your treatment. We are here if you have any questions or need support. 

x Maria

Yes yes yes!! Beeing an emetophobic person myself I can so relate to the extra stress and fear you must be feeling right now.

I went through 6 sessions of chemo, 25 sessions of external beam radiation and 2 x 24 hours of internal radiation and I never felt nauseous. I never vomited, nor did I feel sick.

I was given dexamethason with my chemo through IV as well as Emend. On top of that I was prescribed Emend ( aprepitant) ondansetron and primperan, and I had lorazepam as a back up in case the ones mentioned didn't work. Never had to use the lorazepam. 

If you do feel nauseous tell your team! They can provide lots of different things.  You don't have to feel sick during chemo. 

I hope your treatment will be as smooth ( as smooth as this rough ride can be) as mine was. You can do this! 

One tip. Take those meds as prescribed. Don't wait it out. Just take them

Thanks so much guys.

Well day one done. It was really long. I'm feeling ok but tired and achy. Not that hungry but not really nauseous.  I have a similar regime to you so fingers crossed ! I will do as you say and take the one prescribed for now even though I could do without it. 

You're both so kind and I feel heaps better and stronger to take this on now.

Hugs

Beany

Well done Beany im glad your first day of treatment went as well as can be and you are feeling strong. One chemoday down! xXx

Thank you. It does feel like a milestone even though I've got miles to go yet. 

Second radiotherapy today which went smoothly. I've eaten a little today but tonight feeling really achey and flu like. Joints hurt and low energy despite taking the steroids.  Bit deflated to feel the effects so soon. Although no bladder or bowel issues yet but way too soon for that! 

Having said that, I'm feeling pretty upbeat and more in control of this! 

Beginning to find this forum as my go to guide!

You are doing wonderful!!  I remember it actually felt empowering to go through treatment and to do something about this &#&## of a tumour that had the audacity to invade MY  body

Yes! As the Radiography machine went round me today I was saying (in my mind lol) take that you b*&$&€d! 

Hi Beany

Hope you're getting on ok?

Over the summer I had chemorads (5 chemo & 28 rads) and brachy, and I have to say that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad!

People have already said my top advice... take alll the meds they give you. And if at any point the anti nausea aren't working, ring them straight away! I struggled a couple of times and my meds were upped to help and stop the nausea. 

What chemo drug are you on? I was on cisplatin and the best advice I received from my consultant was to drink all through the night to flush it out of my system. This helped reduce the side effects loads. And of course 3 litres of water a day is essential to help your body cope with the rads

I really hope your treatment goes smoothly and, most importantly, kills the nasty cancer cells in your body. 
Sending big hugs 

Lou xx

Hi Lou,

Yes I'm on Cisplatin.  Nausea is not too bad and you're so right about drinking to flush and I've been doing that but gosh its not easy sometimes to get it down me! Off to last radiotherapy of the week. X

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! 

Well week one done but I'm a bit upset that last night and today I'm feeling awful...just really dizzy and weak. Good job no radiotherapy today as not sure I'd get there! Anyone else experienced this? I was doing so well I thought!

Yes, radio will drain all energy from you. But also from the tumor, keep that in mind !!

Thanks Izzzy. You're so right x