Nervously awaiting results

Hi All,

I've been reading threads on here for the past couple of weeks now, but this is my frst post.

I'm waiting for cervical biopsy results and its been THE longest couple of weeks!  It'll be two weeks on the 29th since I had my colposcopy and biopsies taken and I was told at the time that results would take a couple of weeks, so I guess it shouldn't be much longer.

I'm so worried that they're going to come back with a cc diagnosis.

Here's a bit of my back history (and I guess where the worry stems from).....

I've had ongoing issues with bleeding inbetween periods for YEARS now and have seen my GP on many occasions.  A cervical ectropian was diagnosed approximately 10 years ago and I have been treated at my GP surgery with silver nitrate on several occasions to stop the bleeding.  However this hasn't solved the issue long-term.  During this time I have never missed a smear, nor had an abnormal result and I have never been referred to colposcopy for further investigation, having been told that everything 'looks healthy'.  But I've said repeatedly - 'something isn't right'.

So, fast forward to this year and it has literally been one trip to the doctors after the other with various problems.  The last time I visited my GP about the bleeding was December 2018 and after an internal exam where he told me my cervix 'looked inflamed', he referred me for a trans-vaginal ultrasound.  The ultrasound identified an ovarian cyst with 'complex' areas, so I was monitored for that.  On rescanning me in May, the cyst had gone (excellent as my mother died from ovarian cancer so I was totally worried about that!) but the sonographer identified the possibility of a polyp in my womb, so I was passed on to hysteroscopy for an investigation.  Hysteroscopy on 12.07.19 - a single polyp wasn't identified, but my womb lining was apparently 'thickened', so tissue was removed, although I wsas told that it didn't look like anything to be concerned about.  However, the consultant performing the hysteroscopy did say that she would like to refer me to colposcopy as my cevix looked 'dodgy'!  I'd bled more than expected (by her) during the hysteroscopy and I guess she's knows what she's looking at!  I was given an appointment while still at the hospital, to return on Monday morning (this was Friday afternoon!) for a colposcopy.

So, the colposcopist gave me VERY little indication of what she could see.  Again, I bled far more on contact than expected, there were several areas of acetowhite and she biopsied 4 areas.  I'd asked her about treating my ectropian and she relpied that they could treat it but 'only once we know the tissue is normal, we don't want to mask anything'.  I then asked 'does it look ok?' and was told 'it doesn't look normal, no.'  But that was it as far as info!

So....I'm worried.  I'm worried because I've been having symptoms for years.  I'm worried because I've read that smears can miss abnormal cells.  I'm worried because someone who 'knows' about gynaecology (the hysteroscopist) said she was concerned about my cervix and referred me.  And I'm worried about what the colposcopist did/didn't say!!!

Those results can't come quick enough, I just want to know.

Thank you for reading - I know there's nothing you can 'do', but just letting it out feels better!

Hi MrsBen,

I‘m so sorry that you’re having such a dreadful time, I have personally found the waiting to be horrendous.

I wish I could tell you that everything will be fine but I can hope very much for a positive outcome. when I went for my colposcopy it was with a consultant who told me there and then she could see a tumour on my cervix and in her opinion it was cancer, she fast tracked my results and they came back in two days. So there is hope that what they have found could be pre-cancer cells or even if they are actual cancer cells that you have been caught really early and treatment will be incredibly successful. 

It does sound very much like you have been struggling for a long time and it’s so disappointing and frustrating when no ones listens. Get yourself sorted first and put all your energies into dealing with whatever your results bring and once you are in a good place maybe put some energy into a few complaints with your GP.

You are obviously a very strong woman and no matter what you will deal with this, you are in my thoughts and I will be hoping very much for some goodness news soon :) 

Much love to you, 

emma xxx

Hi Emma

Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to reply.

You're right. I am strong and I will deal with whatever the outcome is xx Just want to know now!

I see that things have been happening quickly for you over the past couple of months and I do hope you're doing OK.

Do you mind me asking what your 'odd' symptoms were?

Sending lots of love to you too as you begin treatment xx

Hiya,

Thank you for your message. I have good days and bad days sometimes my mind goes into overdrive and I need to reel myself back in. The waiting is the worst, I was lucky coz my first consultant was amazing and rushed everything through for me, my new consultant isn’t so great and it feels like everything is taking so long. I think I’m just getting impatient.

My symptoms were really watery pink discharge that never stopped, heartburn, hot flushes and since my son was born I’d suffered with sciatica and bad hip pain and all of a sudden the pain changed and it was a dull throbbing and a gnawing pain in my leg and I knew something was wrong. Some of those may be completely unrelated but I still have them I guess if they disappear once treatment starts then I’ll get my answer :) 

Before my colposcopy I saw two doctors one refused to refer me until I had constant symptoms for 6 months and the second said everything looked fine I knew she was wrong. I think sometimes we have to follow our natural instincts. 

I will be keeping everything crossed for you, hopefully you will hear something really soon.

much love,

emma xxx 

Hi  Emma,

You're SO right about 'natural instinct' - reading that yesterday helped to clarify something for me. I'm worried about the results, yes, but if I'm totally honest I'm also worried that they're going to come back 'normal' - as I know something isn't right!!

That probably makes no sense - I'm definitely not hoping for a cc diagnosis, but if biopsies show no abnormal cells, I don't know what I'll do - something isn't right!

It's been a medical journey for me this year, several 'false' alarms for things, but for some reason, I do feel that just now we may be getting to the real issue. And I'd always just trusted that my cervix was OK - because I'd had so many internal exams at the gp and no abnormal smears.

We'll see I guess.

Thank you for sharing your symptoms with me. Mine have been different - but I'm not sure now if I'm linking too many things together!!

Letter from the hospital arrived with hysteroscopy results yesterday - all tissue removed from my womb was normal. Hysteroscopy was only 3 days before my colposcopy, so fingers crossed I shouldn't be waiting too much longer.

Xx

Hey MrsBen,

I’m glad you’ve had one set results back with a good outcome fingers crossed Monday will bring the results of your colposcopy with equally good findings.

I can only imagine what you are going through, I knew something was wrong and unfortunately eventually I was proven right I don’t know how I would have felt had nothing been found. I really admire your perseverance and determination to get to the bottom of things no matter what the outcome. It is very much a mental challenge, post diagnosis and even   after my PET Scan every twinge, ache or sniffle drove my mind into overdrive. 

As I’m sure you have seen there are ladies on here that had symptoms and were diagnosed with the pre-cancerous cells and easily treated, and others diagnosed with invasive cancer who never had a single symptom it’s a cruel disease. 

Much love sweetheart the wait is almost over and no matter what there’s always someone’s here for you. 

Emma xxx 

Hi, I have just joined the forum and totally relate to the stress and worry waiting for results. I am really really scared my cc is too advanced now. I saw my GP in May for difficulty passing urine and had to wait 3 weeks for a pelvic ultrasound. This result showed my one kidney was swollen and my GP referred me to urology urgently and I was given an appointment for 12th July for a CT scan. Before this could happen I had to go to A&E as my symptoms had worsened. They put me on a catheter and said the CT scan showed a “worrying mass”. They referred me to gynaecology and I had an MRI on the 17th July and had a colposcopy, smear and biopsy on the 24th. The consultant said she couldn’t say 100% until the result of my biopsy but she was suspicious the mass was cancer and my cervix did not look okay.  Despite telling me this she proceeded to give me a Macmillan nurse contact card and said they would be my contact from now on. Apparently my case will be discussed on 1st August at an MDT meeting and I will get a phone call.  I am out of my mind with worry and can’t sleep. The mass is about 6cm and I have no idea how invasive it is or if it has spread but I am experiencing pain in my groin, hip, lower back and now neck and shoulder. I have spent lots of time on the internet and have diagnosed myself with at least stage 3 if not 4 due to the speed of  my progressing symptoms. Can anyone else relate to this or offer any advice on how to manage please? 

Nicola

Hey Nicola,

I’m so sorry that you are going through this and yes the waiting is just horrendous, I find it plays with my mind terribly and makes me irrational. It’s natural that every ache, pain and twinge you will relate to what is going on and panic that it’s far worse than it probably is. 

I found that I hoped for the best and planned for the worst, even at later stages there are ladies on here that have been treated successfully and who live great lives. If worst case scenario it turns out to be cancer, you can beat it! Stay strong, stay focused and call the Macmillan nurse if you are struggling. They deal with these things everyday and can be so reassuring. 

Maybe your GP can prescribe something to help you sleep, I found the lack of sleep exhausting and no good came from me and google at 3am. 

No matter what the outcome you are not alone, there are loads of women on here who will happily support you and lend an ear. 

Much love to you and I hope you hear some positive news soon, I will be thinking of you.

emma xxx

Hi Ladies,

I have colposcopy clinic tomorrow and feeling emotional. Had punch biopsy taken last Thursday when I ended up in A&E due to massive blood loss with very large clots. Unfortunately the A&E doctor saw something on my cervix during internal and did urgent referral. Appointment wasn’t meant to be until the 7th August but after another big bleed with clots that wouldn’t stop they have brought appointment forward to tomorrow. Both A&E doctor and gynaecologist think it’s cc so really worried about what stage. Feel for all you ladies waiting for tests or results. Healing hugs to all. X Maria

Hi Nicola,

Sorry you’re dealing with this too. I do keep googling symptoms too and it worries me that two people could see the mass in my cervix with just a speculum which makes me think it’s been growing for a while. Whatever happens we can do this. I really hope you have some news soon. Will update when I have some news. X

Hey Maria,

Good luck with your appointment today, I will be thinking of you xx

The waiting in limbo is the toughest part, but no matter what the outcome of today’s meeting remember that this is a really treatable cancer, you’re a woman so you’re naturally amazing, strong and determined and you will beat whatever is thrown at you. 

Much love to you, and should you need anything or have any questions no matter what they are these forums are just awesome. 

Love Emma xxx 

Hi Emma, 

Thank you for your message. Large mass found on cervix and loop thingy done at colposcopy. The consultant said 'it looks nasty' which is not really what you want to hear coming from a consultant. I've been told I will probably have MRI and scan on Monday/Tuesday so that results can be discussed at MTD meeting on Wednesday.  Really hoping this happens, if not it would be another week before MDT meet to discuss results. Very best of luck starting your Chemo and journey to recovery. We'll catch up later xx

Good luck Maria.

You’ve got this whatever this may be!

Thinking of you xxx

Hey Maria,

I’m so sorry that you didn’t get better news, I’ll be keeping everything crossed that your scans will be done in time for this Wednesdays MDT meeting. The waiting is the worst. 

No matter what try to stay positive, it’s deffo a mental and physical battle and we will win. We’re all here for you, much love to you lovely.

Thank you sweetheart it’s all starting to get really real now for me but I’m keen to start the fight. 

Love Emma xxx 

Thanks for your lovely messages Emma and Lotty. It’s hard isn’t it! Was hoping to receive a letter today regarding scan/MRI appointment but all I got was a letter to inform me my smear test was due. Oh the irony! Emma your lovely messages on here radiate hope and positivity, thank you for that. Catch up with you lovely ladies soon. Much love xx

Thinking of you for tomorrow. Really hope you get some proper sleep tonight. Stay strong, you’ve got this. X

Hi Marie,

I love the irony my smear appointment was a month after my diagnosis. Hows you? I hope you’ve finally had your appointments for MRI/CT and I hope that you’re getting all the support and love you need while you’re going through this horrible time. 

Much love and sending virtual hugs your way, 

emma xxxx

Hi Emma, 

Hope you are keeping well and not finding treatment too terrible. I have had mri and ct scan and was diagnosed with squamous cell 1b2. The MDT team are just slightly concerned that the cancer is close to two lymph nodes so I also had a pet scan on Wednesday. Keeping fingers crossed that my staging doesn’t change once MDT have a look on Wednesday. Have first appointment with oncology on Monday so things starting to move forward a little bit. Take care of yourself and chat soon. Xx

Hey Maria, 

I hope your PET scan went well and fingers crossed they found nothing in those pesky lymph nodes. 

Treatment was tough last week I seemed to hit a dark place mentally, physically it’s been pretty good so far *fingers crossed* it continues that way. I’m over half way and I’m looking forward to a large celebratory drink once it’s all over. 

I hope you have a plan in place and no matter what it is you will get through it, I found the waiting around to be the worst. 

Much love to you and catch up soon,

love Emma xxx