My life

Hey … I’m Katie and I was diagnosed with cervical cancer back in 4/11/20 … I had a radical hysterectomy , not keyhole I was cut open from hip to hip , I had everything taken away including my appendix. It was a long and complex surgery. I’m going to skip out the middle as I’m not ready yet … I’ve been left disabled from this … I do struggle . I’m cancer free :crossed_fingers:t2: And hopefully it never returns . My life has changed drastically and I struggle with this .I’m very grateful to be here and my family are amazing but I miss my life as to what it was before . Is anyone else in a similar situation if so I’d love to hear from you :heart:

1 Like

Katie,

You have been through so much to beat cancer and I sincerely hope that you will remain cancer free. I’m so sorry that the whole thing has left you disabled and I can’t offer any similar situation I’m afraid. I too was diagnosed with cancer in November 2020, but by Christmas after 3 scans it was clear it had spread, so an operation (which was initially planned) was not an option and I was restaged as 3C2. I’m actually grateful for this as the chemorads (which do leave you with the likelihood of long term after effects) do treat the whole body, and and there are too many stories of ladies on this forum who have had invasive operations only to find they need more treatment. The emotional impact of that alone must be dreadful. You look like a young lady and it must be horrible to have to adjust to a life very different than you had before. I really feel for you and I hope some people will reply who are in similar places (I know Jazza has long term effects of her treatment) who could perhaps become support buddies. A bug hug for you, Katie, and hope that as time goes on your life will start to take a better shape. :cry::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you that’s so very kind of you . Life is hard on us all . I’ve had so much surgery ( 5 in one week last feb 2021 ) I’ve got more surgery in July and I’m awaiting major reconstructive surgery :crossed_fingers:t2: I miss my life I had before but I need to get my head round that . All the posts in here are amazing and what the ladies have been through is life changing. I’m very grateful to still be here I just wish I had better quality and didn’t have to have so much help . Keep smiling :slightly_smiling_face: and thank you :pray:t3: :heart:

2 Likes

Hi Katie

As Jacks has mentioned my treatment has left me with long term side effects which I consider debilitating. My radical hysterectomy caused a lot of nerve damage leaving me with urinary retention and whilst I have regained a reasonable amount of natural bladder function I continue to use catheters to empty my bladder properly. I also developed lymphoedema which I find debilitating because it’s in my foot and affects my mobility - I can walk fine but nothing like the distances I used to cover and many types of actvity cause me fatigue and discomfort within a short time and feeling the need to rest My lifestyle has changed drastically since my treatment otherwise I end up with urinary tract infections or lymphoedema associated foot problems which put me at risk of cellulitis - I ended up retiring earlier than planned because I could no longer peform with the speed and accuracy my job required.

There are of course degrees of disability amd we’re all different in how we cope with the physical changes which cancer treatment can cause. You don’t say how and to what extent you have become disabled which it’s perfectly fine if you don’t wish to. I suspect there are some who have been particularly unlucky with side effects of treatment but perhaps haven’t commented on this forum, either because they wish to stay private or perhaps because they are concerned it may frighten others. It took me a while to talk about my long term urinary retention because I didn’t want to frighten other people; but then I came across someone who’d publicised she’d had similar outcome and because her story helped me feel less isolated I decided to share my story.

It’s about 18 months since your treatment and you are facing reconstructive surgery. That’s a lot to deal with and it’s still early days really. I’m 5 years beyond treatment and although my physical lot hasn’t really improved I’ve got better at coping compared to when I was 18 months beyond treatment plus I’ve made progress adapting my lifestyle to one which suits my altered body.

Best wishes

x

2 Likes

Thank you so much . Even though I’m surrounded by the best family and friends I feel so lonely and isolated. I have to use a wheelchair which took me such a long time to get used to . I can only walk 10 ish steps , my legs are so damaged and groin and my back which I’ve just been told I also have degenerative arthritis in . I hope when I’m more down the line like you I’m a bit better all round . I can’t work … I’m exhausted all the time . I’m in a lot of meds . I’m pretty messed up inside , but since last February 2021 I was moved to UCLH London and they’ve been amazing. They’ve helped me so much and they take care of me so well . I will be a patient there for life . Thank you for reaching out to me :heart:

1 Like

Katie

I can empathise with feeling lonely and isolated even if one is blessed with good family and friends. I now realise that I had no idea to what extent a long term condition can affect a life until it happened to me.

For me, in addition to Jo’s various organisations and social media groups have helped me to feel less isolated. If you aren’t already aware there are lots of support groups on Facebook; my bladder problems drove me to signing up to Facebook where I found a group which helped me a lot in feeling less isolated with my need to self catheterise. These groups are usually private (acceptance requires answering a few questions) and in my experience well moderated.

x

2 Likes

Thank you . Maybe that would be good for me too . I’ve had a lot of bladder and kidney and toilet problems :cry: xxx

Give yourself time… You are not alone. My thoughts and best wishes Katie :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Katie,
I’m happy to hear that you are cancer free and I’m sorry to hear of everything that you have been through. I’m not sure I can say alot to make you feel better but I can relate to you. I have had a full hysterectomy back in September of last year which I still haven’t recovered from and I also had chemotherapy and radiotherapy. My life has changed completely too and I’m struggling physically and still haven’t been able to return to work. Sending you big hugs xx

1 Like

Thank you . I’m so sorry you’ve had this aswell :cry: adjusting is so hard and something I really struggle with . I hope you can go back to work and some normality :crossed_fingers:t2: I won’t be able to work again in a job I loved :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: but I’m very grateful to be here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: mess me anytime :heart:

1 Like

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

Adjusting is so hard!! It’s a completely different life now but I’m happy to still be here too - that’s a big positive!! I’m sorry you weren’t able to go back to work especially a job you loved, I’m not sure when I’ll be able to and it might not work out but I’ll wait and see. Message me anytime too xx

1 Like